• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning cpu question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes. I would recommend rubbing alcohol as it dries fast. It is even safe to soak the entire CPU in a cup of alcohol (I have done this to a few Celerons and a T-Bird in the past, and they all worked fine afterwards). Just make sure the CPU is completely dry before you put it in and it will be fine.

I've soaked CPUs in both rubbing alcohol and an alcohol acetone mixture. Neither caused problems. (acetone dries faster than rubbing alcohol.)
Dave

i soaked my geforce 4 ti4600 in water before :) the gpu had crap i couldnt get to underneeth lol its works fine

I use qtips and rubbing alc for my cpu's

dish washing liquid will also work fine for getting thermal paste of the package of the cpu.

for removing paste off the die, i prefer isopropyl alcohol with cotton buds (q-tips). it works well, it works fast and leaves no residue.

when i got some ASIII in between some pins on my old P4 i used some rubbing alcohol and a new toothbrush found lying around, worked fine afterwords

Back