• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting 2 computers through cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gozma

I am getting a new computer soon. I have cable connection in my house. I want to know how to get the cable to both computers. I want to do it the cheapest way i can. I dont need to network if i dont have to. And i dont want to pay more per month from the company just to get 2. What should i do and how would i set it up?

2 network cards for the PC with the cable. or if that pc can hook up cable via USB, then only 1 network card needed. 1 network card for other PC. 1 crossover cable to connect the PC together. Setup internet sharing with PC that has the cable connection. Or download a internet sharing program to do it. u can find one at download.com or run a search with google for internet sharing.
If u are totally lost u can PM me.

i really dont know mch about networking sorry.... so i am kinda lost.

ok, do this. It is the absolute easiest way to do it, and You won't have to config anything.

Go out and buy a Linksys ROUTER. Plug the cable internet into the WAN port, and the computers into the 1, and 2 ports. Easy as pie. The router will do all the configuration and it will cost you like 80 dollars.

The only other method is having 2 network cards on one computer like NO1 mentioned. That requires some messing around with, and you have to leave the "host" computer on all the time if you want the other computer to be able to access the internet.

By using a router both computers will have equal access to the internet.

funkdamonkman said:
ok, do this. It is the absolute easiest way to do it, and You won't have to config anything.

Go out and buy a Linksys ROUTER. Plug the cable internet into the WAN port, and the computers into the 1, and 2 ports. Easy as pie. The router will do all the configuration and it will cost you like 80 dollars.

The only other method is having 2 network cards on one computer like NO1 mentioned. That requires some messing around with, and you have to leave the "host" computer on all the time if you want the other computer to be able to access the internet.

By using a router both computers will have equal access to the internet.

way too much money for only 2 pcs. There are internet connection shairng websites that'll teach him how to do it. Don't bother buying a router dude.

Cheapest: use a crossover cable to connect the two pcs.

Easiest: gateway router. About 5 minutes both will be connected.

Either way some networking has to be done- the crossover cable will cost a lot less, but be more work. Not too tough though- you can do it:D

I do prefer the gateway router though, even for just 2 rigs- another layer of defense against script-kiddies.
And it allows you future expansion room as well, unlike the nic to nic setup which connects a max of 2 computers.

two ethernet card and a cross over cable. software is widely availible. i got 5 hooked up tru an 8 port hub that costed me 30 dollars us routers are heaps expensive i know i couldnt afford one so i found other means and it does work

this wouldnt help you cause you are in australia, but that link i posted just above is for a 30 dollar 4-port router (if anyone else is interested, and from the US). very cheap hardware solution.

Dude just go with the DLink router with the built in switch for 54 bucks. Easiest way and you save electricity the router doesn't hog as much power as running your host computer all the time just for the other computer to be connected to the Net.

I got a router here at my mom's. Got it for free!!!! Praise my brother. Head of IT department. He also got me a 40FT long peice of eather net cord for free also.

Back