• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe Temp limit for a XP1800 & Epox 8k3a? Need some help for article

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beau_safken

Heres the story... I just got done with some cooling for an Article I am writing about using the Stock HSF on the XP1800+ to see how much cooler I can possibly get the temps and then How much it can be overclocked. What I need to know, is given that my Epox 8k3a is an On-Die temperature reader..What is a Safe High temperature in which should be observed with safety in mind?

BTW: Im writing this article because some people don't have the money to get the good HSF's so I thought it would be kind of fun to try and cool my CPU using less than 10 dollars and some Cleever rigging. It will be written and submitted as soon as I let the AS3 burn in properly and have a presentable product for Overclockers.com.

Thanks guys!!!!!

keep it under 70 should be fine i would want to go much higher.. how u planing to vary temps?? fan speeds and such?? i find that anything in the high 40's will cos instabilty with fsb above 145 if thats of any help

That helps a lot actually. I have been messing with the CPU speed in BIOS and found that a speed of 138 puts me in the XP1900+ class. I am messing around with going to 140 or so. Thanks for the tip!!!...BTW the chip is Locked so 11.5 multiplier will be an issue...If I unlocked it would a 145 fsb or better be more stable like 150 x 9.5?? Just throwing out a number..

The XP1800+ has a 11.5 multiplier (locked).
Here's a little table for XP CPU speeds and fsb settings for the 1800+

XP1800+ 1.53Ghz FSB 133
XP1900+ 1.60Ghz FSB 140
XP2000+ 1.67Ghz FSB 145
XP2100+ 1.73Ghz FSB 150
XP2200+ 1.80Ghz FSB 156

I found that I can run my 1800+ at 145fsb as a 2000+ quite nicely. Temps rarely exceed 40C when I am running at 2000+. I am also using the stock HSF.

EDIT: I have a duct for the HSF.

yah it really depend on wat steping u got. i got a bad one not one of those lovely agioa's so i had to push the vcore up heaps to get it stable at 162

yah it is but i heard ppl pushing there xp1600 to 1.9ghz weather they were telling the truth or not is another story.
i want to get and agioa core and test it out i got a crap steping so i'm sort of stuck there

Yeah its true: some are getting XP1600s to 1.9ghz.
Unfortunately, I am not one of them....

I do have an XP1700 at 1.8, though- and I have seen the same low temp problems PackRatBob mentioned with high FSB.

Its pretty rare that I can keep a system stable at 50c...and the fact that I run fsb as high as possible on everything makes them more sensitive.

Not sure about the safe max temps, really, except that AMD posts what they say...

Stability is really a decent determiner though- if you get the thing to run, and be stable 24/7 under FULL cpu load with a 55c cpu temp- I'd say its ok. Under AMD's spec, so it should be ok......in theory:D

Thanks for the help y'all. Im running an AGOGA Core at 140 FSB and at load it is at 49C...Thats pretty good for being upstairs in the heat of summer. I will try pushing it further but I would like to know by looking at my voltage what determines when I need to increase the voltage to my CPU???

Thank again guys my article will be written in submitted within the week with all your help, Thanks again!!!

You can't tell when you need to increase vcore by looking at voltages. You CAN tell when you can NOT increase it anymore if:

Temps are too high

5v line is low (This varies, but usually AMDs have trouble with 5v under 4.8 or so. When you increase vcore the 5v rail goes down more)

Increasing cpu core voltage is not really a cure-all, but it can get an overclocked chip stable, within limits.

Back