• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amd Vs Intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hobobum1218

Registered
I'm planning to get a new computer soon... cant decide which one is better!!! I've heard about P4's OC abilitiez but ppl complain about the amount of heat... Abit's BD7-II Raid and ChainTech's new APOGEE 7VJL are both superb... so so hard to decide!!! any suggestionz? or opinionz?

this thread will go on...and on....and on....and will waste time, P4 will overclock higher but AMD system will probably cost a lot less...

edit: i would go for a XP1600, those overclock crazy and are only $68 at newegg

CPU

I also vote for budget and supporting the little guy. Go AMD.

Who cares if its 1-5% less performance? You'll never notice the difference but your pocketbook will.

Re: CPU

Arkaine23 said:
I also vote for budget and supporting the little guy. Go AMD.

Who cares if its 1-5% less performance? You'll never notice the difference but your pocketbook will.

Exactly. If you absolutely HAVE to have the fastest machine on the block, be prepared to pay for it. And pay, and pay, and pay. On pricewatch the top three Intels are: the 2.53 b $571!, the 2.4b $371, and the 2.4a for $341. You could build a whole AMD sytem for $571 if you wanted to!

Now, the AMD XP-1600 is cheap as hell and can oc very high. If you're patient I'd say wait for the nForce2 with DDRII, it'll help alot with the memory speed - something Intel kills us at - and will provide for major OCing and great bandwitch for a future Barton upgrade. The Bartons should be in the $200's when they come out, and should provide a good contender against the high MHz P4's. Even the price of the 1600 now and the Barton later would probably still be cheaper than even a 2.4a, let alone the 2.53b.

If money is no object Intel is currently the speed leader, but I think for most money is something to care about.

--Illah

Both are good processors. If you get either Amd or Intel just make sure you buy quality parts. Just browse the forums in the Amd and Intel sections to get an idea of what's good and what's not. I own both Amd and Intel and both have their strong points and weak points. I don't notice any difference in speed in the top of the line processors. Both perform equally well.

i think most ppl would go amd for alue wise and they do overclock good mines hiting 2300 specs now on an xp and many have gone even more for 80 bucks thats not a bad deal.

either chip is only as good as the rest of the system, so whichever you choose, make sure you get a quality mobo that will allow you to make the adjustments you need to make (FSB, multi, vcore, mem voltage, I/O voltage, etc), and make sure your memory, HDD, and other peripherals will handle the rise in the system speed.

That being said, I'd go with a 1600, an Abit mobo, and some 3000-3200 flavor DDR...and if you have any money left over, watercool it :D

depends on how fast u want, and how much u got to burn;)
give us ur buget and what do u expect out of the system?

whoa guys! thanks for all your replies... really appreciate it =) anyways... i got my first job ever... with about 300 bucks a week... so i'd say i'm willing to spend about 400 for this upgrade... one little question here... An AMD XP w/o unlocking is a bad thing or good?... cus' some people said theres no need to unlock it because the FSB is enough for performance. Which is better? well... for OC: XP 1600 or 1800... and what does the + mean?

If you have 400.00 to upgrade I would say go with AMD. Newegg's refurb section is great. The Abit KX7-333 there is 60.00 in the refurb, however it isn't in stock. Currently has to be the best board. The Athlon XP 1600+ is a bang of the buck. The chip hits very high FSBs. A definite guarantee of 166fsb, that's why there's no reason to unlock it. And if you want to run within spec the 1/5 divider of the KT333 chipset kicks in and keeps it in spec, other than that it can go alot more. 120.00 for both CPU and mobo, what a deal? :D As for ram, I'd say look into the XTremeDDR PC3200. Not as expensive, uses Samsung CTL (Original) chips. Corsair is good, but spending like 125.00 for ram is ridiculous. You might have to look into a new psu. Go for the Antec 430watt. You could sneak alot in for 400.00 :D

Yodums

Edit: Just checked the prices for you

Abit KX7-333 - 61.00
Athlon XP 1600+ - 66.00
XtremeDDR 256mb PC3200 - 95.00 (PC-Pitstop.com only good vendor selling this)
Antec 430W True Power - 80.00
ThermalRight AX7 - 25.99 (Heatsinkfactory.com)

Total: 327.99

Good Luck Hunting.

Last edited:
Yodums! you the man! :D thanks for all your help! Ummm some more question about your suggestions... 430 watt power supply? isn't it a bit too much? LOL don't mind me... i'm new to this so not sure why. I think I'll need a new case too :( my current one has only 250 max watt and very crowded... not very good for OC'ing (Duhhh). Any suggestions on a good case? like how many fans would i need to circulate all that heat? -Mike (Hobo) :rolleyes:

newegg.com

The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. Purchasing this Refurbished item means you will receive OEM BAREBONE item itself.The accessory items are not included with Refurbished products but they are shown in the pictures so the customers will know what is missing and need.

o_O... does it mean the cables and everything don't come with it? =( only the mobo? isn't that a bad thing?

Lian Li makes great cases but they can get really costly, and id say like 4 or so fans in the case if you want to keep the air moving pretty well. For the motherboard, id say get the Epox 8k3a which goes for 89 bucks at newegg or the KX7-333 for around the same price new. You can grab the 1600+ for like $68 like someone said. Ive heard that a lot of people have been having success with the refurbished section of newegg so i guess why not, even though i got mine retail for shear safety. 300W Power supply will just barely run the athlon xps so i would definately suggest a 400 or 430W Antec supply or something close to that.

No It is not. Unless you want them. You get what you pay for In other words. :D

Yes the 1600+ is awsome right now it clocks high and is out with very good steppings ( I got It when it first came out so I got poor steppings but it works. ) As of DDR Yodums is right. Also WD hard drives are known to die at a High FSB, Get a Maxtor because It is the only Drive to support ATA133 (that I know of) and that should speed that up one of the bottle necks of your system, Unless you are a video editor than 40gigs is fine. If you can wait, than get the nForce 2 that has a built in Gf4 Mx card with Dual monitor out, Which in turn save you from buying a video card right away, and it supports agp 8x for the future, it also has Dual DDR, (more details here ) If you cant wait then Toms Hardware guide ( here ) gives you a 18 mobo test on KT333 chipsets. And the best place to buy anything online due to customer servce and a low price all the time is www.newegg.com .

Good luck and most of all have FUN!

Have you heard of the nforce the nforce 2 is a new chipset by nvidia If you read the artical (to much to type on one page ) than you know that this little package is very strong. (if it holds up to the hype)

1. It is the most complex chipset ever made.

2. built in gf4 mx chip

3. 5.1 sound

4. 8x agp

5. Dual DDR

6. DDR 400

And a picture
nvi223.jpg

Depends on what you really need the power for, I tend to end up with AMD each time, even though I have messed around with a few Intel chips, I love my Duron though...always have liked the Duron CPU's.

I spend 80% of my time on the PC cruising the net, and 20% playing games, my system does both quite well =)

Back