• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 2500K still kicking !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would love that, or even 2600k. Sadly in my country those used processors hold very high price. You can get a Ryzen 1700x for that price or even 1800x. I wrote multiple ads saying i am buying 2600k or 3770k for fair price and didnt get a single offer since they know fair price is around 50€ and they are all selling it for 120€. I could really use it since for gaming, 2500k is plenty for me. But i sure could use those threads for encoding, archiving, working with 1000s of images, etc.

Ok, so as promised, here are the results of the test. I am happy with the overclock i guess. Keep in mind that in the summer temperature will rise for up to 9C, so i havent got much room. R9 390 is downclocked by 30%, partly because i dont need performance right now in DA3 and dont want extra heat, but there is also another reason that will need another thread opened. I would love to go to 4.5Ghz for extra performance but my cooling isnt cutting it. Its luck to be as good as it is, considering this is a 775 cooler, i replaced pins with screws and it simply fits to 1155. CPU heatsink clearly reaches its limits since difference between 50% and 100% cpu cooler is 1-2C, and cpu fan on 50% is 1100rpm and on 100% is 1400rpm. Im getting a better fan for cpu this days, arctic P12, just to see if it makes any difference since this stock fan isnt very good. I am also going into a new case soon, replacing 2 92mm system fans with 2 140mm and 1 120mm. Also i am adding tunnels directly to cpu and gpu to see if it makes any difference at all. Ofcourse i will share the tests with you. But for now, here is the pic showing my results. As u can see encoding benefits from cpu and ram oc, winrar benefits from cpu oc. DA3 barely benefits from anything. And heat generated increases quite a lot. What i am amazed at though is that i actualy lowered idle power usage. This is awesome cause i have my pc on 24/7. That is prolly cause i put everything at minimum except llc. All power phases and things like that on minimum (on default they are not at minimum). So voltage is set at 1.265V while before it was set at 1.1V. If i have no lockup in about 3 weeks, i will put it to offset to get even lower. Though in the past i had some problems with offset voltage with an occasional system hang every 2 or so weeks, mostly when i opened a folder with many video files. So i will do more testing with that.

View attachment 210336

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this is the part of OCing i dont like. I tried overnight PRIME95, i tried 6 hours intel stress test, i tried overnight memtests ... all stable. And then BSOD while normal windows using. Ok, i increase vcore from 1.265V to 1.275V. Today i left my pc opened on desktop and when i came back, another BSOD. So i increased memory voltage from 1.6V to 1.65V. If this doesnt work i guess i will have to start reducing clock or ram timings. It just pisses me off that it crashes when basicly in idle while passing all the stress tests. And i have no way of knowing where the problem came from, cpu, ram or something else. I do know that on 1.11V 3.4Ghz all core, i had no crashes whatsoever.

How is your voltage set, adaptive/offset or fixed? Perhaps the idle voltage is too low for the clocks?

No, its fixed at 1.275V for this exact reason - i had problems before with offset voltage. So now its staying and actualy never goes under 1.280V.

What is the BSOD code? What does the event viewer say? Is your PC sleeping/hybernating? Did you disable the deep power saving states?

Hey, lads on the forum, not a fair soul to send this guy a3770k? If I had one handy, I would...

They are worth peanuts around here

I added what event viewer tells me of the last 3 locks ups. I put ram to stock and kept 4.2Ghz all core 1.275V and will wait 1 week to see if this solves things. 1 thing to note also is, that all this time, i was doing operations on an old 2.5 ide drives that i connect through usb - ide converter. So i stopped that also, just to make sure something in the old corrupt disks didnt do that. I have all power saving options on because i need low idle power consumption due to 24/7 operation. Dont see how they could affect this though, my vcore is stable.

Bluescreenview only shows 0x000000124 codes for 4 times. And it always says the problem was hal.ddl and ntoskrnl.exe

Here are the error bsod codes:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffe000a7030028, 0x00000000be000000, 0x0000000000800400). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000030, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffd0013b040180, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x0000000000000020, 0xffffe0014884b350, 0xffffe0014884b3e0, 0x0000000004090011). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:

Last edited:
Putting ram on stock didnt help. I got another lock up when showing folder with lots of videos and pictures. Lowered the frequency to 4.1Ghz to see if this will solve it. But i dont get it, stable for 8 hours with that insane intel test at 1.265V and 4.2Ghz ... then crashes in windows at 1.275V ...

I seem to be stable at 1.275V 4.1Ghz all core. Could someone explain to me how its possible to be 8 hour stable at insane INTEL cpu stress test and then crash during normal windows operations ? I know it happens, stress test cant simulate all possible situations. Its just mind bogling that at 100% it doesnt crash and then when like 5% cpu is being used it crashes. Remember, voltage is 1.275V and never goes under. So it cant be that.

I added what event viewer tells me of the last 3 locks ups. I put ram to stock and kept 4.2Ghz all core 1.275V and will wait 1 week to see if this solves things. 1 thing to note also is, that all this time, i was doing operations on an old 2.5 ide drives that i connect through usb - ide converter. So i stopped that also, just to make sure something in the old corrupt disks didnt do that. I have all power saving options on because i need low idle power consumption due to 24/7 operation. Dont see how they could affect this though, my vcore is stable.

Bluescreenview only shows 0x000000124 codes for 4 times. And it always says the problem was hal.ddl and ntoskrnl.exe

Here are the error bsod codes:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffe000a7030028, 0x00000000be000000, 0x0000000000800400). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000101 (0x0000000000000030, 0x0000000000000000, 0xffffd0013b040180, 0x0000000000000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x0000000000000020, 0xffffe0014884b350, 0xffffe0014884b3e0, 0x0000000004090011). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:

Leaving the power options on high performance will not pose a danger to your system and might make it perform better. That is certainly true on AMD Ryaen CPUs. Are you saying you are trying to save on your electric bill?

Yes, i am trying to use as little electricity as possible. Granted i could be powering my pc off or using laptop. But i am just so used to my main pc being used for both games and my business and other things, i always name my pc "MAIN". I am not ready to change the way i use it. So i try to do as much as i can with what i got. I got idle power usage down to 50W, but measuring with killawatt over 2 days showed average draw of about 90W. That is about 30-60 minutes of playing a game and lots of streaming live tv in hd. Its not perfect but i will live with that. So to answer your questions, yes, that is why i have all my powersaving features on, to cut a watt here and there. I plan to go under 50W in time by setting offset voltage instead of fixed. But only when i find an optimum frequency and voltage setting that wont BSOD for at least 2 weeks.

Is electricity expensive where you live or is this more of an environmental conscience issue for you?

Its certanly not the environmental thing. And i dont think electricity is particulary expensive. But i have this thing where i want to have as little monthly pay as possible (sometimes i say that i dont want to be an idiot working hard to then waste money on things i dont need). But to answer your question, going from 50W to 40W idle, it will mean cents a month, basicly nothing. But i like to optimise things and see how far i can get them.

Its been 8 days with no crashes ever since i lowered frequency from 4.2 to 4.1 all core on 1.275V. I guess this was it then. I am still waiting for new fans to arrive so i can migrate to the other case with better airflow. Then i will see how far i can OC.

I'm not convinced that temps were ever a real problem. The numbers you have supplied to us do not show that. But certainly, improving your case air flow is a good idea anyway if you suspect it is not adequate.

I came as high as 70C in dragon age due to heat produced by graphic card. I guess i am a bit old school and am not comfortable with any temperature over 60C. A lot has changed lately. I will have to get used to it i guess

You might not be comfortable with it but don't expect the better case air flow and resulting lower CPU temps to allow you a higher overclock.

I am having i5 2500k woes too. I heard that many don't feel Prime 95 is the way to go anymore to test overclocks as it pushes the system too hard but that is what I have been using. I used to hit 4.5 GHz no problem but went to stock and let it boost for quite a few years now as I had no need for faster clock speed. Now with a beast of a card, the RX 5700 XT, well I want to at least get to 4.5 stable. So far 4 GHz with both tests I am using, Prime 95 and Intel Burn Test allowed for a proper OC but beyond that I have had a few issues. It is always one core that ends up shutting down basically and the cpu ends up running at 75%. Btw for Prime 95 I have been doing the BLEND test as that was what was recommended. Anyway with the guides I have found out there I haven't found anything that makes it easy to look at my motherboard and know exactly what to change. It has been some educated guessing and learning. Anyway OP hope you get what you want out of this eventually. As for me I know a Ryzen upgrade in the future will be what I need to do but with all the choices man it makes it hard. I prefer the old days where there were clear value cpus and motherboards and there was clear room for overclocking .... like with this i5 2500k : )

Look at it this way, with both current gen AMD and Intel, it is pretty much the case where the chips are already overclocked for you from the factory. Just plug and play and enjoy! You have to realize that with the advent of the "core wars" the performance value has shifted to apps that can efficiently use many cores/threads instead of high clock speeds. Games will catch up to that. There just isn't a way to have both high overclock headroom and lots of cores at the same time and have any expectation of being able to keep motherboard and CPU components within a sain power draw envelope for cooling purposes.

Back