• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Xp Pro & 98 Se On Same Machine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DodgeViper

I have built a system with removable hard drives. One drive has Windows 98 SE and the other has Windows XP Pro Corp. Now for the problem I am having. I reformatted one drive and installed the XP and all my other XP ready software. Last night I put the kids drive in the computer with 98 SE so they could do their thing. This morning I put the XP drive in. After clicking on Internet Explorer and going to any dot com I get this message below. This message only appears the first time after starting Internet Explorer and does not happen again until I close IE and reopen IE and visit another dot com.

A RUNTIME ERROR HAS OCCURRED.
DO YOU WISH TO DEBUG?
LINE 426, Sometime this error number is different.
ERROR: UNSPECIFIED ERROR
YES OR NO

When I click NO I am taken to the page I had clicked on, if I click YES I am taken to JUST-IN -TIME -DEBUGGING. Prior to pulling the XP drive out from the caddy the first time after reformatting and placing the 98 SE drive in the computer for the first time I was NOT having this problem.

Rebooting does not help. I am beginning to think there is a problem using XP and 98 SE on the same system.

You might want to give this a try DodgeViper...Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Advanced, and put a check mark in Disable script debugging. Script debuggers are used by Web site developers to test programs and scripts on their Web pages. ;)

Yep that appears to have done the trick. After I had reformatted the drive and reinstalled XP on that drive I went to MS updates and one of the updates was to IE6. It may have made a change at that time. Thanks for the tip.

Back