• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7s5a wont post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eletrium

Registered
(Thank you all for ANY help on this.)

What do you do when you follow the previous post on how to build a new computer and it does not post. I know the video card and Memory are ok, as I have used them before.

I have an ECS K7S5A board with a Duron 1.2GHz processor. I got the parts off of newegg.

This is actually my second mobo and cpu combo for this computer. I got this far before and it would not post, so I assumed that I screwed something up. I called newegg and sent the parts back. Now I have the same exact situation. I have an Enermax 300W ps that turns on fine.

I DID:
- plugged in PS, turned power switch on, and grounded myself
- turned ps off in back (on 115 V)
- Mounted CPU in mobo and fan to power connector in mobo
- Mounted mobo in case
- Hooked up Power switch
- Hooked up power
- Put Memory in proper slot (crucial 512 SDRAM)
- inserted Vid card
- Hooked up monitor, mouse, and keyboard
- turned on computer, power comes on (fans whir up)
---> No Post

I MUST be missing simething here. I am almost certain that the parts I got are not bad. I have not hooked up all of teh LED connectors, and possibly connected the power on switch to the wrong connector (?). The manual kind of stinks on this one. Its pretty much gibberish.

Again, Thank you all for ANY help on this.

I'll give it a shot!

First, I don't know why you would turn on the PSU without anything else connected! It won't do anything until it gets the signal from the mainboard.
Anyway, here are a few things to check.
First, be sure the clear-CMOS jumper is in the correct position. Next, be sure the ribbon cables are connected to the mainboard correctly, the diagram in the manual is somewhat confusing. Check for the PIN-1 location on the board.
Next, it may be worth the trouble to pull the heatsink off of the CPU just to be sure it was seated correctly. I ALWAYS do this on a new install. Look at the imprint of the core and make sure it was completely seated. While you have the HSF off, pull the CPU out and re-seat it. There have been reports of just doing that has corrected problems.
Apart from these things, make double sure everything is seated correctly and everything is plugged in corectly.
You could try starting the system without the memory to see if you get the appropriate beeps. The same goes without the vid card in.
Hope you get it going!!

:)

I am not sure as of yet, but I think the problem was too much Arctic Silver thermal grease. I put on too much and it connected the core to everything else on the chip.

Gonna clean it off with alcohol and try it again when I get home in a few hours.

I'll do the re-seat as well :)

Back