• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead P4 2.26b!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
Yeah thats right my bomb chip bombed. I have had it at 3,011mhz for the last month and a half. I have not had it past 1.7v. I ran it at 1.6 to 1.65v on a regular basis. My temps were at first 50f idle and then after I tweaked my Vapo the idle temps were 2 to 3c idle so it wasn't a heat issue. My rig began locking up a couple days ago so I tought it just needed more juice so I upped it to 1.65 from 1.6v. That didn't help so I down clocked it from 177fsb 3,011mhz to 155fsb 2643mhz and it still locked up and started to crash randomly. I set it at default vcore and speed and it crashed some more and then finally will not boot. Personally, I don't think these new P4's can handle sustained speeds. But I am gonna get another one and try it again. If this one fails then I will probly go default or AMD. krag

Sorry for your lose.:( If there isn't any physical damage on the cpu you should at least be able to RMA it, right? I wonder if any other people with similar setups will expereience the same problems.

:eek: at such a low voltage!

Well at least this happened at an extreme speed... not your typical middle-of-the-road OC.

Have you bros heard of anyother P4's dieing like mine? The only ones I have ever heard of eat the big one cause of high voltage.

Well dude what are the voltages you were running it at really. At 3011 what was your main vcore? You have it somewhere between 1.7v and 1.6v. Fess up. Just cause you have it set to 1.7v in the bios doesn;t mean that is what it was running at. Some mobo's undervolt and others overvolt. My st6 @ 1.825v runs the chip at 1.86v. Much to much vcore for a .13u chip! I have found even a short amount of time at high vcores can damage a chip. I think 1.75v would be pushing it since many die even at 1.8v.

So 85% of the time what was your vcore set at and what was the vcore truly at in the "Health Status" in bios.

Maybe it didn't like 2~3 deg. C temps. It is not the first time I have seen a PIV die even though it was at low temps!

I've been running my P4 2.0 NW @ 2.6Ghz 100% stable (can boot up to 2.8 tho..) and it's always been at 1.9V (1.7 bios + .2 riser on Asus P4S533).

I cool it with a watercooled peltier.

Just recently it stopped being able to cold boot at 2.6. I'm hoping it's because the ambient temp is ~85 - 100 degrees F and that effects the initial boot... idle and stress temps are not a problem. 0 - 5 idle, 25 full stress (celcius). I had to lower the FSB from 130 to 127.

So 85% of the time what was your vcore set at and what was the vcore truly at in the "Health Status" in bios.

We're talkin' 95% of the time it was at 1.6v stable @ 3011. It was'nt until a couple days ago I bumpped it to 1.65v, these were set in the bios. I did notice that my Asus Probe reported my voltages a quarter to a third volt higher than my bios settings. but I dissmissed it as just another inaccurate Asus Probe reading. However, in this case (Asus P4B533-E) it appears to have been accurate. So when I bumpped it to 1.65 in the bios my Asus read 1.69v. I have never used the overvolting jumper on my board, I had it at 1.7 in the bios once for about 30 min. but thats it. Do you think the Asus Probe was right, or do you think the chip just couldn't handle the 3 gig?

krag said:

We're talkin' 95% of the time it was at 1.6v stable @ 3011. It was'nt until a couple days ago I bumpped it to 1.65v, these were set in the bios. I did notice that my Asus Probe reported my voltages a quarter to a third volt higher than my bios settings. but I dissmissed it as just another inaccurate Asus Probe reading. However, in this case (Asus P4B533-E) it appears to have been accurate. So when I bumpped it to 1.65 in the bios my Asus read 1.69v. I have never used the overvolting jumper on my board, I had it at 1.7 in the bios once for about 30 min. but thats it. Do you think the Asus Probe was right, or do you think the chip just couldn't handle the 3 gig?

Sounds like a RMA time. These northwoods are weird! I would keep pushing it until it dies and doesn't run at default speeds anymore. You may have bum caps too! Maybe water condensed on the backside of the CPU! I have seen it happen way too many times even at 3~5 dg. C! You say you noticed the problems after you put it o your cry cooler? A little water can go along way on a CPU!

You say you noticed the problems after you put it o your cry cooler? A little water can go along way on a CPU!

No, I have had the chip in my vapo the whole two months that I have owned it. But, recently I did take it out to place a temp probe on it. This was just prior to the lockups and crashes. Maybe thats what happend. But, then agian, I covered the back of the mobo with a good layer of silicone with closed cell foam ontop of that and the area around and ontop of the ziff sockett was covered with foam too. And yes, the sockett hole under the cpu was filled with foam and dielectric grease as well as the pin holes. Then again, if it were condensation the rig would just crash and not re-boot again, right? i was able to re-boot and run it sucessfully several times before it wouldn't re-boot at all.

krag said:

No, I have had the chip in my vapo the whole two months that I have owned it. But, recently I did take it out to place a temp probe on it. This was just prior to the lockups and crashes. Maybe thats what happend. But, then agian, I covered the back of the mobo with a good layer of silicone with closed cell foam ontop of that and the area around and ontop of the ziff sockett was covered with foam too. And yes, the sockett hole under the cpu was filled with foam and dielectric grease as well as the pin holes. Then again, if it were condensation the rig would just crash and not re-boot again, right? i was able to re-boot and run it sucessfully several times before it wouldn't re-boot at all.

You would think but you never know! Like I said these PIV's are weird! You say the problems started after you added a temp probe?

How long did it take after you added the temp probe for problems to start happening?

About a week. I couldn't put it under the chip because the temp probe was to big. So I put it on the heatspreader itself off to the side where the evaporator core didn't touch it nor was it interferring with the thermal contact either. It was covered by the foam that surrounded the evaporator core.

krag said:
About a week. I couldn't put it under the chip because the temp probe was to big. So I put it on the heatspreader itself off to the side where the evaporator core didn't touch it nor was it interferring with the thermal contact either. It was covered by the foam that surrounded the evaporator core.

Yikes, I don't like the sound of that! You should have sealed it up with silicone grease or vaseline!

Have you checked whether it could be your psu or ram? They can cause lockups as well. Try memtest86.com and check the rails on the psu. I have the Enermax 431watt VE Version and it isnt the best PSU for me :/

Yodums said:
Have you checked whether it could be your psu or ram? They can cause lockups as well. Try memtest86.com and check the rails on the psu. I have the Enermax 431watt VE Version and it isnt the best PSU for me :/

465AX-VE-FMA? or another model?

Yikes, I don't like the sound of that! You should have sealed it up with silicone grease or vaseline

Actually it was sealed with AS3 on top and in the ziff sockett (pin holes, plug hole) special white vapo goop. tHe probe was in the AS3 part.

Well since it ran 2 months with no problems but then 1 week after you did something to it I would have to think something happend then possibly. You situation doesn't make alot of sence. Like I said your computer wouldn't neccesarily not boot if it got a little wet! I had very large icecles form under my tualatin once hanging from those transistors on the other side.

Yeah you're right, I am thinkin' the same thing. When my new chip arives I will put one of the heating elements back on.

Back