• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long does it take YOUR CD's to load up?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heron_jownze

When I put a CD into my 16X DVD drive, and close the tray, it takes anywhere from 12 to 20 seconds to load up.(for the files to appear) That seems kinda slow IMO.

How long does YOURS take to load?

Im wondering if its a problem with mine, or it is normal.

A good CD will load up as soon as the drive spins up, i.e. 3-4 sec. on my ancient HP8100 burner. A bad quality CD, especially some burned or protected ones, won't be able to be read the 1st time, so the drive has to retry a few times. This can take up as much as 20 seconds, although it's usually about 10.

my liteon burner takes about 5 seconds for windows to pop up that auto cd thing.

the 12x toshiba dvd drive takes slightly less.

would this have anything to do with DMA i wonder?

If you have XP, you might want to turn off some of its autoplay features.

Tweak UI --> My Computer --> Autoplay --> Drives

It might speed up the speed-up time, as it won't be spending time searching through the files trying to decide what kind of CD it is and what to do with it.

-- Paul

Hmmm, that's strange. Which OS?

How long has it been since your last reinstall? (If we're talking MS)

Well, it's 1:00, so I'd better get back to programming. I'll check back later. Good luck!

-- Paul

Back