• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speed Tweaks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DUREX

Disabled
do speed tweaks really work??? i eman changing registry and everything does it all work i mean im running windows xp with att broadband so if i did a speed registry tweak does it help i mean does it really do anyhting????

They will work, yes...how much is another story. Windows XP is not set up to default at the fastest speeds, so that is something you can change. But how much faster it will make your connection will vary from machine to machine. Some people have had great gains, some people get very little.

I heard Xp takes 20% of your bandwidth.. and reserves it just in case it needs it?? Is that true??

Tweaks do work. Back in the days of Win95, Windows 95 wasn't set up for networking like XP is now. Tweaks back then made a big difference to the speeds you would get. Nowadays, those same tweaks don't get you too much change. They do make a change, and it should go faster based on that change, but the changes are not as big as they used to be.

Most windows computers are configured for dial-up (due to the fact that most of the world is on dialup). This means they send and recieve information in tiny little bits so that 56k modems aren't flooded. When you have broadband, you can push up the window size, for example, and more information flows.
(back in the win95 days, the information was 14.4 modem-size, so the change was really big between that and 1.5Mbit cable.)

Yes, in some cases XP takes up alot of your bandwidth. I've heard upto 35% actually. But you can stop it. Simply open up your services, and disable the "QoS Packet Scheduler". (all it does is spew quality of service information to the local network. If you aren't running special equipment that calculates QoS, then there is no reason to leave it enabled.)

hmm i dunno but if that is true that sux i got att broadband and dslreports shows my speed is still goin fast but when i use IE it seems slow

takes me liek 15 secs goin 1 2 3 4 but usually i had websites opening liek in 1 sec and that one speed test on whoever site says im at 2 meg a sec thats impossible 2 MB on att cable??? is themexp.com a slow site cause it has so much to load? is there a good way to set up IE 6??? and what is the best way to reinstall IE 6 on windows xp pro

actually, it would say "2Megabits."
Bandwidth is measured in Megabits.
8 Megabits = 1 Megabyte.
Storage space on your hard drive is measured in Megabytes.

You read in at 2000 Kilobits/s (2Mbits/s), which means you should average 250Kbytes/s downloads.

you can do it via a registry edit in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{interface}
It should be in a dword called "MTU".

Or, there's lots of utilities that will modify this for you.
Here's a good one called DrTCP.
http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

See what is suggested for your internet connection with DSLR Tweak Tester:
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Back