• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

why does the 1.4 athlon cost more than 1600+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
A random run over to pricewatch.com has revealed to me that a 1.4Ghz thunderbird would cost 80 bucks while an athlon xp 1600+ (running at 1.4Ghz) would only cost 55.

anyone know the reason AMDs older chip is a full 25 bucks more?

Supply and demand. It's like, why does PC100 cost more than PC2100? Cuz nobody makes PC100 anymore, so it's rare!

I don't know, it is kinda weird but the 1600 is the crap chip of the XP's (except to us OCers, we know AGOIA's potential :) ), so naturally they charge very little for it. The 1.4 T-bird was the best of that line, so they charge more. That's my guess anyway.

--Illah

Illah said:
Supply and demand. It's like, why does PC100 cost more than PC2100? Cuz nobody makes PC100 anymore, so it's rare!

I don't know, it is kinda weird but the 1600 is the crap chip of the XP's (except to us OCers, we know AGOIA's potential :) ), so naturally they charge very little for it. The 1.4 T-bird was the best of that line, so they charge more. That's my guess anyway.

--Illah

Yep demand. People will have to pay more for a chip if they don't have a mobo that supports DDR or an XP... If they don't pay it's their loss..

Yodums

You've only just touched on the insanity. The best socket7 CPU ever made is an AMD K6-3+ 550. Never released for home use (they were for laptops), they've allways been rare. They go for around $100.00 on ebay. More than enough to buy a socket A combo that would blow it out of the water in every way possible.
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them.

Back