• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mounting Cooljag to GF4 Ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sm0x

Hey, I've searched all throughout this forum and others and I've found no clear answer here. I plan to do some hardcore overclocking with the eVGA GF4 Ti4200 128MB. And many say the Cooljag JAC311C is the best choice. Now, to mount it, some people say to use Arctic Silver 3 to attach the heatsink but is that all you would have to do? I've seen a few say they had to drill a hole through the heatsink and use the clips that came with the retail fan. My question here is whats the easiest way to mount this fan to the card?

Thanks

well i don't remember who did it, but some one just used the epoxy or something like that to glue it on... no drilling needed.

he had a step by step guide... maybe someone can fill my memory gap for me.

Smox,

Didn't I answer this already for you?? Get some Arctic silver adhesive, or if you plan on adding ramsinks get Arctic Alumina Adhesive.

If at all possible buy a small C clamp for $3 to add the proper pressure for a good bond.

(Make sure you 'pad' the backside of the video clamp when you clamp it to protect the board and circuits) ;)

Silversinksam, when did I ask you and when did you answer already?

sm0x said:
Silversinksam, when did I ask you and when did you answer already?

It doesn't matter my friend, here to help ;)

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to help and I'm sure plenty of others would help yah as well

Okay thanks Silver. BTW if I use arctic silver3 to attach the fan/heatsink how long do you think it will last before I need to reapply more?

No, right now I'm using the retail fan that came with the card. You know where I can get some AS3 cheap? The lowest I've seen is 6 dollars and the shipping is also 6 dollars. Thats from newegg.

I stuck a CoolJag on my G3Ti/550 with Arctic Alumina adhesive(had to move the memory heatsinks back a bit for clearance).
It was a waste of time considering I wasn't able to clock much higher, plus the card weighs about 10 pounds now :D
I read for best performance with this particular hsf, put the fan on so it's sucking.
Personally, I wouldn't do it again.

EDIT: FedEx just delivered my Gainward G4 Ti4200. What a coingkidink.:D

Last edited:
wow I just realized everybody I've seen on the forums are using the Artic silver adhesive to mount the cooljag to the GPU not arctic silver 3. For some reason I ordered artic silver 3 thinking that would keep the cooljag mounted on. Could this alone work, or do I really need the adhesive?

Do you guys think that arctic silver3, alone, can keep the cooljag HSF mounted to the video card?

no... as3 is just a thermal paste. you will need something that has adhesive properties or the hs/f will just fall right off unless you have it secured some other way.

Thanks for the reply cack. I think I'll drill holes through the heatsink and mount it with tapping screws. Has anybody here tried this other than Nismo Nate?

Hey again,
I just got my cool jag and AS3 but I don't think I can get any adhesive. How about super glue? I hear it works great, but has anybody had problems mounting with superglue?

Thanks

Back