• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wierd modem prob on old comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

I've tried 2 different Diamond multimedia modems on an old hewlett packard(133mhz, eww) and niether will work, also there is only 1 com port in the system properties' hardware menu. I'm thinking the modem doesn't have a port to connect through. The comp will not talk to either modem using any drivers but it detects the modem on startup so i'm pretty positive it's the comp's fault. Can anyone confirm this? This is the first time I haven't been able to fix someone's comp problems and it's really bugging me. The comp is my grand uncle's so I wanna tell him what is happening for sure. All i really need right now is to know that that is the only prob it might be. He did have this really wierd modem/soundcard hybrid(wtf? never seen one b4, gameport, hone in, sound out, in, and mic) that went in an isa port but it was hit by lightning and the resistors on it fried an i'm pretty sure nothing was damaged. thanx guys 'n gals.

If they are ISA modems that you're trying, how are the jumpers (if any) configured? What OS Win98? If the serial ports aren't being used, try disabling them in the BIOS to free up IRQ's. If there is a setting in the BIOS specifying what IRQ the modem uses, try disabling it.

sorry, didn't give all the info

Win98 1st ed.
pci winmodem w/ no jumpers
com port isn't used
bios is horrible, gives no info
nonstandard mobo design(ex. only 1 com port, extremely weird built)

The one Winmodem I've installed with Win98 gave me similar problems. I finally got the right software/drivers, and installed the software, without using the modem installation wizard. It created a port during installation, there had only been 1 COM port showing in device manager prior to running the modem installation software, afterwards there were 2. The modem immediately worked fine after that!

Maybe it is time to try and find an ISA modem. I'll bet you could get one of them to work with no problem. Many people here (not me though, I'm allways putting old computers together for my family) probably have good US Robotics ISA modems collecting dust. Maybe put an ad in the wanted section?

Winmodems use the cpu for most of the work....so many of them require a certain speed of cpu as a minimum: usually 166mhz that I've seen. :(
Sorry.

It is occasionally possible to get them to work with a slower computer, but it will be a battle IF it works, and it will have a slower connection speed; 33.6 most likely.

I've done it a couple times, but it is a ROYAL pain.

If you can find a hardware modem- ISA bus- you will be much better off.
Externals are all hardware, so that might be the way to go as well

Boy Roger, I'll bet you're on to something there! I was thinking that it might be some sort of compatibility problem with Plug and Play, and the old BIOS. But CPU speed and a Winmodem, of course!

yeah, i hate winmodems, they've always given me probs but he wanted something cheap. I use a non-winmodem over a proxy cause my comp doesn't have an isa port, i'll see if he's up for it. Actually, sh!t, i'll just get xternal and he'll have to deal w/ the extra cash, or get me to build him a new comp:D.

Back