• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whoaaa... price drop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hobobum1218

Registered
o_O just couple of dayz ago 1.8A was like 170 something... now itz 150!?!? =] glad i didnt order it yet... question... ffor a minor oc... should i go for 1.8A or 2.0A <-- 15 buckz more (around)...

I'm also helping my cousinz order a whole system tomorrow... whatz the best 40gb hd (budget)... 3d card ($150 budget)... sound card (budget again)... speakerz?<-- at least 3 piece... monitor? ($150 budget)...
they're ordering a 1.8A p4... ddr ramz (2700 or 3000 better?)... Whatz the best motherboard out there? (looking for onez around 120 or 150)...

-thankz

Whatz wrong, "S" key not workin?

hehe... jk. :p

The 1.8A is better for OCing over all. The newer 1.8A's have just kept improving in their OCing results... so if you decided you wanted to go for a 1GHz overclock at some point, I have no doubt that one of the newer 1.8A's would be able to do it.

HDD... I like Western Digital HDD's myself, but Maxtors are good too. I wouldn't skimp on the HDD.

DDR- Corsair XMS 3000/3200 has been looking good, but if you're on a budget I'd recommend some Crucial PC2700.

For a $150 budget on the vid card, I'd go with a GF3 Ti500. It'll outperform any GF4 MX out there for about the same $$$, maybe a little more. I would look for a fairly cheap 17" inch generic monitor, again, fairly cheaply had with some good shopping.

Sound card... look for a SB Live! something. With the Audigy's out, they will be reasonably priced. I like Harmon-Kardon speakers but that's me. To each his own.

Motherboard... do you mind not having any PS2 ports? If not, I'd get an Abit IT7-II Max. Nice DDR board. Otherwise, the Abit BD7-II is good too. If you want RDRAM, the TH7-II is the way to go though.

Check my sig for what I would recommend.
All except the XtremeDDR. Some people have had good results with it, but mine wont go over ddr388. I'll be looking to get some Corsair XMS PC3200 v2 ram, or some true ddr400 when it comes out.

You can get a GF4 TI4200 for under $150.
I like my abit bd7-ii except for the krazy temp readings.
SB Live is fine for a soundcard IMO.
For speakers I suggest the Logitech z-560's. You can get them for $139 shipped from www.2buystore.com

go with the 1.8a. that wasn't a huge price cut on the 1.8a, but its price had been bottoming out for a long time anyway. i was hoping to see it around 130-140 buck range, like the 1.6a was for a long time.

for cheap(er) o/c ram, i like good 'ol sammy 2700... otherwise go with corsair xms ram (which uses sammy modules anyway)

soundblaster audigy - why try to save more when the best is only a few pennies more?

mobo - the safe choice is abit, you cant go wrong. if you want to take a chance on epox, you might be well rewarded with a great overclocking board. i had a 4bda2+ that o/c'ed like nothing else. then they discontinued it and i've stayed away from the new model because of my experience with epox early bios bugginess syndrome (a new computer disease - lol)

hard drives - save a couple dollars and get the ata 133 maxtor... spend a couple dollars and get the WD special eds. either way you won't be wrong.

video card - get a 4200 anc o/c the h*** outta it.

Last edited:
Don't buy the 2.0, go with the 1.8! As you can see in my sig, the 1.8a is an awesome OCer. I have never touched the voltage and it is rock solid at 2.52 ghz. Go check the cpu database on the main page and you will see that most people get great results.

When 2.53s or even 2.8s get into the sub 200 range I may screw with my voltages (Right before I buy a new chip) but for now I want this baby to last so I don't go near the voltage settings. :D

jazztrumpet216 said:
Whatz wrong, "S" key not workin?

hehe... jk. :p

The 1.8A is better for OCing over all. The newer 1.8A's have just kept improving in their OCing results... so if you decided you wanted to go for a 1GHz overclock at some point, I have no doubt that one of the newer 1.8A's would be able to do it.

HDD... I like Western Digital HDD's myself, but Maxtors are good too. I wouldn't skimp on the HDD.

DDR- Corsair XMS 3000/3200 has been looking good, but if you're on a budget I'd recommend some Crucial PC2700.

For a $150 budget on the vid card, I'd go with a GF3 Ti500. It'll outperform any GF4 MX out there for about the same $$$, maybe a little more. I would look for a fairly cheap 17" inch generic monitor, again, fairly cheaply had with some good shopping.

Sound card... look for a SB Live! something. With the Audigy's out, they will be reasonably priced. I like Harmon-Kardon speakers but that's me. To each his own.

Motherboard... do you mind not having any PS2 ports? If not, I'd get an Abit IT7-II Max. Nice DDR board. Otherwise, the Abit BD7-II is good too. If you want RDRAM, the TH7-II is the way to go though.

:rolleyes: Haha... good one... nahhh I just love to use the "Z" key
Anywayz... so far I've gotten:

80GB 8MB Buffer Western Digital HD (Special Edition) ($140)
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card (Free*with speakerz)
Altec Lansing 5.1 Speakers ($100)
Pacific Digital 40X12X48 CDRW (Free*with HD)
ATI Radeon 8500 128MB ($130)

I still need to help them order the rest of the ****...

Pentium 4 1.8A CPU
BD7-II Mobo
Samsung/Crucial 256MB DDR333 sdramz
Antec 350 watt Tower case (Black)

I'm open to suggestionz n commentz...

Okay, I don't know where you got the 80gig wd se drive, but Newegg is selling those 80 gig se drives for $106 w/ free shipping...jfyi....

Lumberjack said:
Okay, I don't know where you got the 80gig wd se drive, but Newegg is selling those 80 gig se drives for $106 w/ free shipping...jfyi....

well he had to pay for that FREE CDRW zomehow!!!

I'd get at least 512 of mem ezp if you are Uzing xp and gaming
Xp uze's like 126 just to run?? (MAYBE exagerating) (SP)

why not go with one of the new KT400 MB??

I believe a few are out now!

XgladiatorX said:
why not go with one of the new KT400 MB??

He can't use a KT400 MB, this is an Intel system and that is a Via chipset made for an AMD processor. Not necessarily interchangable.

I also heard that the KT400 offers only a marginal increase in performance in the KT333 chipsets... if that is so, I wouldn't bother anyways.

Back