• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Quality Rig to replace OLD Computer (~2000 USD)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nate1dog99

Registered
I have been reading the forums and been doing research on review websites(Tom's Hardware, TechPoweUp),as suggested in other's posts. However, I am at a point where I need some help.

This will be my second complete build, I do upgrades and replacements both personally and at work when something breaks. My last build one was in 2004, had to replace MB, VC and PSU throughout it's life. I basically limped it along and can't play anything current and it's about to die. It's now time to shoot the P4-3GHZ. :( Yes, I realize this is soo far past it's useful life, but got married and started a family when I needed to upgrade, but finally hit a point where my wife is even saying I need to upgrade. So, I am in the clear to spend some money.

Here is the answers to the questions I see posted whenever someone is asking about their build.

• What are you planning to do with this computer? Gaming(FPS and MMORPG), Photo/Video Editing/Converting - Family Videos
  • What is your budget? Close to $2000, under is better, however this needs to last for awhile(see family comments), so better to spend more and buy once IMO.
  • Does this include a copy of Windows? Yes and Office
  • Does this include peripherals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)? Yes, some
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? USA
  • Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders? own country
  • Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage. - Typical US sites (Been reviewing Amazon and Newegg mostly)
  • If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter? Nope, but I will drive past one in a month during a family vacation.
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build? To last, see above.
  • Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind? Yes, but mildly, if any, at first and then probably more down the road as it ages.
  • Would you prefer the build to be particularly small? no
  • Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet? quiet is nice, will be in the bedroom.
  • In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading? Now and let it rest.
  • Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost. Yes, but down the line

Current Build Ideas: The parenthesis are just some of the prices I've seen for the item listed, not the budget for that item.

CPU: I7-4770K (~345)
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme6/ac or ASUS Z87 PRO, or ? (~170-210)
Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 860 (~200)
Memory: 2x8GB G.Skill Trident DDR1600 (~170)
Case: Corsair 550D or ? (~140)
Hard Drive: 1-2TB, suggestions needed. (~100-175)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB - BOOT Drive (~135)
Optical: LG Blu-Ray Burner (~60)
Software: Windows 8 Pro and Office 2013 (~270) Any Suggested Antivirus/Firewall? Free?
Monitor: 23-24 inch, suggestions needed (~300)
Video Card: Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Radeon 7870(Tahiti LE), or ? - Best brand of these or suggested? (~250-300)
Heatsink: If I should even get one now, maybe a later purchase? Air: ? Water: H80i->H100i (~90-100)
Mouse: Currently have a Microsoft Lase Mouse 6000
Keyboard: need a USB wired -nothing special (~20-30)
Speakers: Yes, but nothing special, just to listen to home videos, I will use headphones for gaming.

I am most unsure of MB, Case, HD, Monitor and VC. However, I would appreciate suggestions on the entire build.

I have six(6) hard drives in my current rig, but I expect to have four(4) hard drives in this rig(for now): 1) SSD-Boot 2)HD for everything else 3) Video/Picture Drive: 2-1TB's in RAID 1(moving from current rig)

Anything I am missing or that I should do differently?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

CPU: I7-4770K (~345)
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme6/ac or ASUS Z87 PRO, or ? (~170-210)
Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 860 (~200)
Memory: 2x8GB G.Skill Trident DDR1600 (~170)
Case: Corsair 550D or ? (~140)
Hard Drive: 1-2TB, suggestions needed. (~100-175)
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB - BOOT Drive (~135)
Optical: LG Blu-Ray Burner (~60)
Software: Windows 8 Pro and Office 2013 (~270) Any Suggested Antivirus/Firewall? Free?
Monitor: 23-24 inch, suggestions needed (~300)
Video Card: Radeon HD 7950 Boost, Radeon 7870(Tahiti LE), or ? - Best brand of these or suggested? (~250-300)
Heatsink: If I should even get one now, maybe a later purchase? Air: ? Water: H80i->H100i (~90-100)
Mouse: Currently have a Microsoft Lase Mouse 6000
Keyboard: need a USB wired -nothing special (~20-30)
Speakers: Yes, but nothing special, just to listen to home videos, I will use headphones for gaming.

Solid parts. memory a little on the pricey side, i just buyd 2 16gb set for 91$ and 104$. The PSU could be 750w and will still be enough for a CFX 7950/7870XT. Even more if it was Nvidia, they pump less juice.

You dont really have to pay this premium for the motherboard, a 150$ Xtrem4 or z87-plus could be enough.

I'd go high end AIR. I dont like all these cheapo AIO solution, if you go AIO the only one i recommand buying is the swiftech H220.

I will look at the suggested motherboard

A 750 will power the future dual video cards along with everything else comfortably?

Any suggestions for the air?

I run a quite huge phantek PH-TC14PE but you could go smaller with some Noctua or similar cooler. I also have a NH-U12 and a NH-C12, they are both really good quality cooler.

hey nate!!!

Amazing you actually read posts before posting. Thank you, your a bright star in our help universe. Thank you.

You'll do well methinks.

If you want to run a massive max air cooler for the CPU, keep your memory short. No silly heatsinks on them. Don't need them anyway, no matter how pretty they look.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind about the memory.

Anyone have any recommendations on any of the other parts I was unsure of?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($296.78 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($86.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($169.58 @ Microcenter)
Memory: GeIL EVO Leggara Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Neutron Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.21 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($96.88 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($58.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Standard Keyboard ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: EQ276W 27-Inch IPS LED Monitor, WQHD 2560x1440, HDMI, DVI-D, DisplayPort, USB ($398.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1939.64
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-06-12 22:40 EDT-0400)

Cheaper than shown here as there's an extra $40 off at Microcenter for the CPU/motherboard combo and another Newegg combo with the RAM and OS.

Back