• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for advice on new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xHazard

Registered
Hello All.

I've been lurking around for a week of so now and thought I'd introduce myself and seek your expert opinions.

This will be only my second build. I plan on using her mainly for gaming, and yes I intend to oc the living hell out of it. Keep in mind I've never oc anything before, as I didn't want to mess up my current rig.(see sig, also the first system I ever built)

After looking around the boards and various other sources I've come up with this,

• AMD Athlon XP 2200+
  • Asus A7V8X
  • Thermalright SLK-800
  • Thermaltake Smart Fan II
  • 512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR
  • Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm
  • ATI Radeom 9700
  • Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
  • Lite On 48x CDRW
  • Lite On 16x DVD-ROM
  • Cheiftec Tower DX-01BD w/AMD APP 400wt Power Supply
  • Sony 17" CRT

As far as mods go I plan to keep it simple, adding 2 output fans at the top and 2 input fans on the side. Perhaps a window and light when I feel up to it.

How does this look? Any suggestions for alternate equipment is welcomed. Also, should I replace the power supply? I was thinking maybe getting an Antec 430wt, but if the 400wt that comes with the case is good enough I'll stick with it(and save what money I can).

Thanks for listening

Last edited:
xHazard said:
Hello All.

I've been lurking around for a week of so now and thought I'd introduce myself and seek your expert opinions.

This will be only my second build. I plan on using her mainly for gaming, and yes I intend to oc the living hell out of it. Keep in mind I've never oc anything before, as I didn't want to mess up my current rig.(see sig, also the first system I ever built)

After looking around the boards and various other sources I've come up with this,

• AMD Athlon XP 2200+
  • Asus A7V8X
  • Thermalright SLK-800
  • Thermaltake Smart Fan II
  • 512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR
  • Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm
  • ATI Radeom 9700
  • Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer
  • Lite On 48x CDRW
  • Lite On 16x DVD-ROM
  • Cheiftec Tower DX-01BD w/AMD APP 400wt Power Supply
  • Sony 17" CRT

As far as mods go I plan to keep it simple, adding 2 output fans at the top and 2 input fans on the side. Perhaps a window and light when I feel up to it.

How does this look? Any suggestions for alternate equipment is welcomed. Also, should I replace the power supply? I was thinking maybe getting an Antec 430wt, but if the 400wt that comes with the case is good enough I'll stick with it(and save what money I can).

Thanks for listening
PSU is the most important part dont skimp on it:beer:

Sounds like xHazard and I have a lot in common. This is what I currently have. No overclocking done. Just upgrades:

P3 1.2Ghz CPU
2 Western Digital 7200rpm drives
Promise FAST TRACK RAID card
Yamaha 16x10x40 CD-RW
Factory DVD (came with my Dell)
LeadTek GeForce 3 Ti 500 64MB video card
3 sticks of Crucial PC100 256MB RAM (768 total)
ViewSonic A90f 19in flat screen monitor
Some LAN card I bought (10/100) for $20

This is what I am working on getting:
P4 2.53Ghz CPU
Western Digital 100GB 7200rpm drive
Plextor 40x12x40 CD-RW
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti 4600 128MB video card
Cosair PC2700 or higher 256 or 512MB DDR RAM
1 of the 4 following Motherboards (Gigabyte GA-8IGXP GA-8IEXP, ABIT IT7-MAX2 or ASUS P4S8X). The Gigabyte is excellent for overclocking according to www.motherboards.org. The ABIT and ASUS have Serial ATA and AGP 8X.

I have never overclocked before due to fear/wife. What do you suggest I should change? Other than the wife...

Back