• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows .NET Standard Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justin2050

Disabled
I'm currently running Windows XP Pro w/ sp1 1105 and haven't had to reinstall in a while but now I think I need to, I recently obtained a copy of Windows .NET Standard Server and was wondering if I should install it instead of windows xp. I know its a server but maybe theres some kind of benefit to it versus windows xp, anyone have any feedback. I mainly use my computer for gaming, media, and downloading.

The main difference between win2k and win2k Server was the ability for win2k server to host Domain servers and implement group policies. Of course there are a few other differences, but keeping this in mind, unless you plan on hosting a server, I wouldn't use .net. Also since you use it for gaming and such, although I don't know jack about win .net I doubt your going to be able to find drivers for your video and sound cards. If .net uses [God like voice] NT TECHNOLOGY [/God like voice] then you can try 2k/XP drivers, but if it isn't kiss your gaming goodbye.

ive been running .net for around a year now. its exactly the same as xp although it is having major problems with sound cards. i even saw a new ntswitch.exe for xp. with the ntswitch for win2k you can use the program and with a reboot you will be running 2k standerd server. my freinds extagy(sp?) isnt sopported. we even tryed stealing the driver.cab from xp but it didnt work. as far as gaming i havent had any vidio card driver problems with nvidia. my sound although soported is not fully working in that i cant use the creative drivers and the quality is overall bad. these problems came with builds 3621 and up, to varing degrees in each build. if you have no problems with xp then stick with xp. if you do have problems dont hesitate to give .net a try. rc1 is very nice and works well for a beta

I recently installed Release Candidate 1 (RC1) for .Net Server and I am pretty happy with it.

I am NOT running games on it: its in use as as development and testing machine (plus crunching Seti @ Home :) ) but it had no difficulty with any hardware- first install I left all the onboard stuff enabled (sound, modem, usb) and everything was recognized.

I expect that since it is also based on the NT kernel, drivers for Win2K or XP should work for just about anything.

The release candidate seems to be just as fast and stable as Win2K, so it may work well- but remember that it is designed to be a server os, not for desktop workstations.

Back