• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about upgrading my 2014 Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Val155

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about upgrading the video card and memory in my PC that I built in 2014. Specs are below. I haven't been keeping up with the latest technology and versions of video cards and RAM so I was wondering what you pros would recommend for these upgrades. For video cards I prefer NVIDIA chipsets.

Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated. I mainly play WOW on this PC.

EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support SC 4GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB
Intel i5-4670 3.4Ghz
ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97
Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
Windows 10
Direct X 11
CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I'm not sure on RAM usage. How can I tell? My budget is around $250.

I highly doubt you are using all 16GB of your RAM unless you are doing some heavy duty photoshop/encoding work or running VMs.

You can tell pretty easily by opening up resource monitor and seeing RAM usage stats.

For a video card I imagine you will be looking at/around an AMD RX580 or maybe a GTX1060 range. If you can swing up to it a 1070 would also work depending on if your budget just for the card was 250 or if that was the total budget for both RAM and GPU. (but considering RAM is likely not at a a limit in your machine I don't see any reason to buy more of it).

yes it is and would be a good choice, just keep the rest of your system as is.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

you have access to the classifieds section in this forum, there is a 1070 for sale if you can swing it.

How do I access the classifieds section in this forum? Also, what is the best way to update the card. Do I use DDU in safe mode then turn off the PC and remove old/install the new video card, then boot up and install the latest driver?

You're going from Nivida to Nvidia, most likely. Just do a clean install of the latest driver and you shouldn't have an issue.

Back