• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best way to DOUBLEPLET ;)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dirty_Punk

i'm searching the best way to build a double 156w plet system for my cpu...

the first idea is to realize a system like that

Immagine02.jpg

Immagine04.jpg

Immagine05.jpg

got better ideas?

tnx for any advice ;)

that is awesome looking and yes i do. the other current dual pelt post uses a veritcal peice to attach the pelts this way there is less copper to cool down however that thing looks wicked!

How much does that thing way when full of water?
It looks huge.
Why not us a cude of copper, and have pelts on the 5 sides that are not touching the CPU. This way you could use 5 120W pelts, keeping the cube of copper at 5cmx5cmx5cm (assuming pelts are 4x4cm, the extra 1cm is foe clamping holes), and would give 600W of possible cooling power.

You would need 5 WB's and a very strong pump, but they would be do-able. Only thing is you would need to design it so it could be mounted to the motherboard, and with all 5 sides of the cube used, it might be hard.

your talking about his thing weighing a lot5 waterblocks 5 pelts and a copper cube. you better moun that damn thing to the side of the case.

If your case sits vertical I think you should put a brace from the bottom of the case to the cooling system to take the strain of all that mass off the mother board. Really!

wow thats lookin good, lets see the bottom, im a little confused about that,

so hwo dose it mount again?

it look pretty pimp though yo! but those block do seem kinda simple- almost too much so maybe, but if it cools the pelt to workable tme then that is all that counts :D :eh?: :D

the bottom?? is simply the base of the doubleplet, so it's flat.
the central part is simply a piece of CU

soon i'll post the new doubleplet, with 2 great wb (CU with 45u AG) and the central lower and larger, also in CU with 45u AG ;)

but have you any ideas to optimize it?

ah, i don't put it in a case so don't worry about weight (howether pentaplet is too much :p )

If your only using two pelts then using the dangerden maze 2-2 method of having two next to each other is the best method. (for 40mm 152's anyway)

If your planning on making something more exotic as above then you want to be using 220watters or more than two, otherwise its just waisted effort.

Id also mount your motherboard horizontally or it will be almost impossible to mount such a heavy block and get a good core contact.
Mounting horizontally means that th weight of the block itself will make getting a good contact easyer.

I like the idea of a pentapelt with 5 220watt pelts that would get very cold, and would let you heat your house with the wattage produced, saving on heating bills.

but pointless.
it would not be worth the power consumption. I live in the realm of 8 cents a kilowatt hour, and that thing would cost way too much to be worth the cooling power. With the power costs from one year, I could buy a vapochill or something better...
Futura

Holst said:
If your only using two pelts then using the dangerden maze 2-2 method of having two next to each other is the best method. (for 40mm 152's anyway)

I would be inclined to disagree with this statement and trial on my part has proven this to not be the case. My best results to date have been achieved on dual opposing 156w tecs. Cooling on this method has approached the promethia (sp) in regards to max achievable oc. I do have a couple of concerns on the posted design but do applaud the original thinking. One is ability to transfer heat to the central core given the apparent thickness of the coldplates doing the transfer and two, this is going to be a bear to insulate. The plates may or may not be sufficient and as for the insulating, he may have an idea to accomplish it unknown to us. I should be interested to see the results of testing and the insulating measures put into place.

hmmm... senior do u think u could draw a diagram to show the better method? i cant quite envision it form your post. thnk if u can:D :eh?: :D

EDIT: that is funny i meant silver but then it still made sense cuz he is a senior member... ok:D :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
CrashOveride said:
hmmm... senior do u think u could draw a diagram to show the better method? i cant quite envision it form your post. thnk if u can:D :eh?: :D

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=108848

My real concern is the main coldplate runs perpindicular to the pelts and which makes it dependant on transfer. The effectiveness of that is debateable however I like original thinking. The plates on each side are going to get pretty cold with no heat load on them and insulating it may be a real problem. It will definately take real careful planning on your part to insulate it correctly. Take Care and I shall watch the thread.

TFT, stacking as you know in the conventional method will most likely not work. However a version of stacking might. Everyone notices how the temps on the processor are fairly cold at startup and warm up over the first few minutes. Where is that heat going during the first few minutes? Given its size the core has to attain peak temp fairly fast. Secondly, why is it that the water block becomes warm after running a few minutes under normal conditions? Heat transfer? From the water? How would a few say 5c effect your oc on say water cooling and wonder how well we could incorporate a ...say 40w tec into a water block using standard air cooling and psu? Thus attaining and holding the present temps at startup. OC is always better on a cold startup.

I'm not all that familiar w/ tec's, but I've read a few things on them and the goal is to get the hot side cool, so the cold side will be sub-zero.
My thought was that if you had a coldplate over the processor, and a lower wattage tec on that, followed by a cold plate and a higher wattage tec on that, cooled by a water block.
Now, obviously this defenitly has a very good chance of not working, and could even be dangerous. I know that the top tec will be throwing off tons of heat, but in my thought, if you were going to build your own waterblock anyway, you could build something big enough, and pump enough water through to get the job done. Also, you'll obviously need a bigger radiator, or maybe even more than one. Sounds interesting, maybe I'll try it :D

How about Tec (big), water block, small tec (on top)? Might realize some of the advantages of chilled water without the hassle.

Back