• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help with an air conditioner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[EG]~NaTz~

how do i discharge the freon in the sytem u see i took this one out of the trash and i want to use the rad fr a pelt chiller or on a diff phase change but i need to know how to discharge the freon.

p.s. thanking you in advance for all the help....

:eh?:
Does the system work?If it works just use it as a waterchiller.
Unless it is a high btu a/c then the evap or condenser isnt going to be too great as a radiator from the flow restriction.
How are you going to use it on another phase change system if you dont know how to release the refrigerant?
You need to read up some on phase change :)

that is why i was asking on how to do it if anyone knew did u not read the thread. i just dont know how to discharge.

You obviously missed my meaning.
I meant if you cant even figure out how to release the refrigerant,how can you possibly know how to build a phase change system :rolleyes:

Kind of self explanitory to release it,just cut the line ;)
And dont get caught.
You never answered my question,does it work?

If it works use it as a chiller.Alot of people throw them away because they dont know anything about them,alot of times it is just electrical problems.Or dead fan,if it is just the fan then thats no big deal.

oh i dont know if it works and when i asked how to do it i thought therte was a release valve my plan was go in the back yard with big scissors(blot cutters) and have a ball on the tubing. how compressed is it i mean is the thing gonna blow freon everywhere or what?

It'll just leak and hiss at you for a minute or two (no freezing liquid, cause the pressure equalized). Fully charged and not having run for an hour or two, it'll probably be around 80psi or so.

Now the correct thing to say, is to take it to a recycler, and have them drain the system safely for you.
But since the makers of the freon empty tons of the stuff to the outside air every year just in the process of making it, but expect us to recycle 20 oz. of it...let it blow.

DO NOT GET YOUR FACE NEAR IT, DO NOT BREATH IT. SOME REFRIGERANTS CAN HARM YOUR LUNGS PERMANENTLY.
There, I've done my part.

Bolt cutters, metal shears (scissors), tubing cutter, hacksaw, heck you can even bash it with a rock....but remember, you will need the tubing to be in good shape to connect to it, so save as much as you can.
And don't do anything to destroy that tiny thin copper tube, that's the capillary tube and regulates the system, you'll want to save and use it sometime.
It'd also be helpful to mark the tubes on the compressor so you know what they go to in time when you build your "Frankenstein's Cooler" from the salvaged parts.

Last edited:
ok thanx man i opened it up today this weekend i got a date with the a/c and a few of my little friends.... .... ok so im a little weird about stuff like this

i got a chainsaw hehe.

do any of the lines unscrew? unscrew them. we just did my friends car a/c. converted to r-134a, and the freon came out and there was tons of oil in it. the oil might only be in the car ones though. i'd keep clear so you don't get oily if so

Back