• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan to go to the molex connector on the MoBo or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Havoc_

Registered
I have recently had the luck to buy a PII 266 mgh at a student garage sale for $125.00. The thing looks new (even has the new computer smell) along with a new keyboard and mouse. I "cracked" it open when I got home. I noticed that there was only 1 fan on the bottom of the power supply that drew air across the cpu using a duct. I want to install some additional cooling units. I am planning on putting a fan on the fron to blow air in and a fan on the back to suck air out. This will make it similar to a setup I have on a P1 120 mgz computer I have used for years. Should I connect both fans to the power supply using the 4 pin connectors or plug them into the MoBo if I have enough molex connectors (I have only found 1 so far). A second question is that evreyone here seems to think that the Panaflo fans are best. Why?

You bought a P2 for 125 bucks!!! Isn't that a tad overpriced?

Phrack (Apr 11, 2001 03:58 p.m.):
You bought a P2 for 125 bucks!!! Isn't that a tad overpriced?

Depends on what the rest of the system is made up of, ie, CD-rom (what "x" speed), sound and vid card, etc....

Could be a deal if the periperials are good.

Mr B

Well, I am a agricultural scientist and I curently run my own P I 120 mgz in my office to do a majority of my work. I think up-grading to something that is twice as good for only 125 was a deal. Besides, I am going to move all of my good gear from the 120 to the 233. Still the question begs to be asnwered. Use the molex connector or the pass through (4 pin) connector for the fans?

I would use one of the power supply leads if I was you. One less thing for the motherboard to "worry about".

Should I connect both fans to the power supply using the 4 pin connectors or plug them into the MoBo if I have enough molex connectors (I have only found 1 so far).

It would depend on the size fans, the draw and the size PSU you have.

A second question is that evreyone here seems to think that the Panaflo fans are best. Why?[/quote]

Panaflo fans are quality and have a lower dBA than a lot of other fans on the market.

Back