• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT7A-Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
But I guess that BIOS update supports up to 1.4ghz, and the 1500xp runs at 1.33ghz, it would work.......right?

Depends on what revision you have really, some older boards work fine with the XP/Palomino chips & some dont. If you got 1.3rev then any of the XP/Palomino lineup would work without any problems.

officially, the xp cpu's are only supported on kt7a/kt7a-RAID rev 1.3. however, i've heard that earlier revisions have had no problems running the xp cpus. straight from the famous paul's kt7a faq, http://www.sudhian.com/faqs.cfm/fid/2.sud ,

"AthlonXP processors are not officially supported due to a minor timing problem that can require you to hit reset during a cold boot. Unofficially, however, few people seem to experience this problem and these processors work fine. "

and i hope so, cuz i ordered an athlon 1800+ xp. hehe

Well I always like to air in the side of caution, not always a good thing but that's just me. Good Luck with the XP & yes I am very familiar with Paul;)

UPDATE: Got my Athlon XP 1800+ and running stable! I flashed the BIOS beforehand and wouldn't you know....the board recognized the cpu and had already set it up for me! Haven't had a chacne to unlock it yet, looks like a pain to me, but ill get to it soon. One question though. Here are my temps:

CPU: 44 C
Case: 34 C

is that right? i thought the xp's were much hotter than the t-birds.
My cooler is a thermaltake 6cu with a nice coat of arctic sliver II.

Temps are not terrible. My 1.1 Tbird ran about that, before I fried it. My 1800xp runs at 38@load, with a Volcano 7 and 4 case fans. My Duron 1200 runs hot. Its up around 51, but very stable. I too have not unlocked my 1800. I have a Gigebyte mobo and cannot get the FSB to be stable over 139. I guess I need to buy a CPU that is factory unlocked. :)

try lowering the v-core.i know it runs against everything we read but even oc'ed the xp normally runs better on the kt7a with a little less power and helps with heat.mine is set to 1.625 in bios but registers 1.68 on via hm.

Back