• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem attaching AX-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

I just got my XP2000+ today. I stick it into the socket, and clamp it in. Now, just to see if the heatsink will attach, and how I could put it in w/out causing movement when I have AS3 on it... I try to attach it. It seems that the clips in the heatsink won't attach on both sides of the socket. On the socket, where the 3 prongs come out, I attach the clamps on one side, but there are too far away from the other side to attach them posotively.

Any techniques you can recommend so I can get this thing on? Also, do I want 4 little pads on each corner of the CPU to stay on there?

I have tried to move the clamps around, and I made sure the Heatsink it going on the correct direction.

-YB

With the ASIII inplace (very little) hook the rear clip (no screw driver recess) in first. Lower the heatsink and hold it steady. Insert a screw driver into the front clip (careful with the size - too big and it will slide out) and leaver it over the socket lugs.

Not the easiest of heat sinks to fit - don't worry to much about the ASIII it will settle with the heat before it cures.

Good luck.

I had a similar problem with my AX-7 and ended up having to make a slight adjustment on the clip itself in order to get it to fit properly and engage all the lugs...A medium-sized screwdriver seems to work best...
Definately leave the pads intact, and be careful...
Good luck...:D

Definitely not the easiest heatsink I've installed, but well worth the effort;)

My trick: one of the things I like about AS3 is how well it moves under heat and pressure with time- use a bit extra. It will make your temps stay a bit higher for a bit longer but it will migrate out of the way(and gurantees that you still have enough underneath.)
AX7 is the FIRST heatsink that I was not able to put on without any movement.

When I first installed mine the temps matched another rig I have with the same specs(except for a lesser heatsink.) Now they are 2 to 3c cooler:D

have you mounted any sinks before this one?

i put mine in at an angle, slid the back clip over the lugs and held it in place with my finger. then i set the ax7 down on the processor and put the screwdriver in the other side of the clip. then pried the sink out with the screwdriver until it was far enough out to slide over the lugs.

same as any other heatsink, just had a much harder time keeping the back clip on the lugs.

youngbuck said:
So should I just push it really hard until it goes on?

Definately DO NOT push too hard on the HSF to get it to seat properly, I did and lost a perfectly good 1.4 CPU due to a cracked core...and don't attempt to come at it from an angle, you'll ruin your day for sure...
Mount the HSF flat on the chip and make sure it is aligned properly, then attach the clip on the back lugs, and use the screwdriver to get a good bite on the front lugs...Be careful, the chip you frag could be your own...:eek:

Good luck...:D

I have put AX-7's on my PC and 6 others I built. The easiest method is to use a screwdriver with the removable tip, take the tip off and use the sochet to push on the clip. It won't slide off and allows you to attach the clip with ease.

the ax-7 is a pain to get on and off. i have a big delta on thier right now. how are your temps with smaller fans. i am thinking about getting a smaller fan but i want to stay really cool if i can and be able to overclock a bit..
thanks

Will

Da Whip said:
I have put AX-7's on my PC and 6 others I built. The easiest method is to use a screwdriver with the removable tip, take the tip off and use the sochet to push on the clip. It won't slide off and allows you to attach the clip with ease.

Hey thats a great idea. I've had a heck of a time with the AX7 and this trick will at least ease my mind about screwdrivering the mobo.
Thanks Da Whip

*remembering way abck when, a few months ago:D*

I built my system a few months back and the scariest part was putting on the ax-7 (of coarse the oly flathead screwdriver i had was long and wide, and I had a 120mm pre-attached:D stupid me) after 3 slips i figured out this tid bit of advice. Chill , push like hell, and don't be scared, but be careful. Nervousness caused me to slip, and also got me no where. When i calmed down I didn't screw up at all, and got it right on.

I wish i had though of that Tismedt. We'll when i unlock my rig i'll be sure to use that trick.

Back