• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problem with sound...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R3v3lation

Registered
I just took my computer apart and put it back together the other day. then I reformatted the hard drive and now everything is fine except one thing. the sound doesn't work. It said that there was no sound card and whenever something would normally make a sound instead it just beeps(the speak in the case).

these are my specs...

SOYO K7V dragon mobo
512megs of 2100 ddr
1.4ghz tbird
windowsXP
radeon8500

does anyone have an idea as to what might get it working?

Are you using a sound card ? or are you using on board sound ?
If you are using on board, did you make sure that you have it enabled in bios?

And which ever one you are using, you need to d/l the drivers and install them.

I downloaded the drivers and tried the ones of the CD, no deal. it doesn't even register that it's there. it can't find it. could I have damaged the onboard sound? maybe I hooked it up wrong when putting my computer back together? it started doing all this before I had reformatted...

Did you play around in your BIOS and disable it by accident? If it's not enabled in the BIOS, Windows or any driver set will never see the sound card until it's enabled.

Try running a Windows Update and looking at the Drivers section to see if anything is detected.

it's enabled... everything seems to be fine, but it's still not working... I was wondering, if I get a PCI sound card, do you think it would work or do you think whatever is making the onboard sound not work would do the same thing to a PCI sound card...

It's a good idea. Just be sure to disable the onboard sound first before using a PCI sound card, to avoid IRQ and other conflicts.

Back