• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New setup won't boot, Beep codes say VGA missing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bondrjr

New setup won't boot, Beep codes say VGA missing. Here are my specs:
Motherboard = AB350 Pro4
CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU = Power Color Red Dragon AXRX RX570
Memory = 32 gig (4X8) Ripjaws DDR4-2666 (all the same)
HD = Inland Professional 1TB 3D NAND SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive
PSU = PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply

I think that covers it. I think I have figured most of this out, but I am wondering if I am just an idiot or a huge idiot and need some help figuring that out.

When I put everything together the system wouldn't boot. I attached the onboard speaker and wa-la, I get a beep code. 5 beeps. VGA not available.

So I played around with it. To build the new system I attempted to use the onboard graphics.. well it turns out I didn't read very well (idiot reference above) as the motherboard has onboard graphics, only when the CPU has onboard graphics and the Ryzen doesn't have onboard graphics... problem solved. I put in an old video card ASUS Radeon R7 200 and that got me to the bios and one suggestion I had was to flash the bios to the newest version (I was close but not the latest). That didn't do anything.

So long story short, the graphics issue is that the onboard graphics are non existent and I missed that. The issue is my Power Color Red Dragon AXRX RX570 doesn't have a VGA port. It has all HDMI and one DVI. So is this graphics card not compatible with this system and without the onboard graphics of the CPU/MB, I can't have basic VGA graphics? I was excited the most about this card as I think it will be great to push me to the next level of gaming, but maybe I don't need it and can just go back to the ASUS Radeon R7 200 (the new one has 4 gig of memory, the R7 only has 2 gig of memory).

Anyway, thanks for any answers you guys can give. With the PCRD RX570 in there, it didn't boot either, but I haven't tried it again since I used the ASUS to install windows on the SSD drive.

Thanks for the help and sorry for rambling.

System boots and runs on a different vid card. You answered your own question. The RX570 is bad. Return it.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think the RX570 is bad, it just doesn't have a VGA port and it seems that this system (or maybe any system) won't run without a VGA port. I am wondering if there is a way to still use the RX570 as it is the key piece of this new system that I went with. I didn't realize that the CPU and MB both had to be onboard graphic compatible or that the RX570 didn't have a VGA port (first video card I ever bought without a VGA port).

For instance, can I put in a low end VGA card (probably not the best idea) to satisfy the system requirements and still use the RX570? Is my assumption that each system has to have one VGA port that works a correct assumption? I never build one without one before, but then again I didn't realize my mistake with this CPU.

Thanks again for the reply!

You don't list the monitor that you are using. Does it only have VGA connections? If so, you can get an adapter to match up point A and point B. Even Walmart has them.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry, Monitors are dual Acer widescreen models. Not sure of the exact model. Will try to find it. They have VGA and DVI connectors and one of them is currently using a DVI to HDMI cable.

So maybe I am not asking the right question. Does every system have to have a VGA port active (hence the beep code - no VGA display active) or will a system with only a HDMI display work. I did find in more research that I can get an adapter for the displayport ports on the RX570 that would convert them to VGA, but I don't want to downgrade them to something lesser if I don't have to. I guess for my troubleshooting, I am just trying to determine if there has to be an active VGA adapter or not, since the beep code is specifically no VGA display active.

Sorry, if I am not asking the right question(s).

You don't get a 'no GPU' beep code because there is no monitor plugged in. The card is bad.

I've never encountered or heard of the situation where a system required a VGA connection in order to produce video when other connection types were available.

Did you remember to run the power leads directly from the PSU to the video card? An Rx570 will not run on PCI-e bus power alone.

Last edited:
"VGA" doesn't mean "VGA Port." It actually refers to the graphics controller standard for old IBMs in the 1970s, the Visual Graphics Array https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Graphics_Array. The "VGA Port" came about 10 years later. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VGA_connector The "VGA Missing" code means the GPU is missing. I guarantee no Ryzen system cares about or even should have a VGA port, as they have not been widely used in 20 years.

I know others already indicated that this is the problem, but you seemed really fixated on the term VGA, so I did some googling and wiki reading to help clarify.

In other words, you're looking for an egg but need a chicken. Or maybe the other way around. Someone ask Taco?

To confirm the card is borked try it in another machine.

Be sure all power is connected to the card...

Bios updated on the motherboard?

bondrjr said:
it seems that this system (or maybe any system) won't run without a VGA port.
You don't need "analog" (VGA) graphics for a system to run. In fact, you don't any graphics - that's the major part of what a "headless" workstation is (which typically are also sans keyboard and mouse). The only reason you need any graphics is so you can perform initial setup on the computer - after that, it can be done totally by remote via the network.

I didn't realize that the CPU and MB both had to be onboard graphic compatible
They don't "have" to be, unless you want to use on-board graphics. But even then, it can be, and typically is these days, totally "digital" (not "analog") via HDMI, DisplayPort or DVI interface connection. VGA, which uses the D-sub connector is a superseded legacy graphics solution that is being phased out since virtually all monitors these days support digital inputs. Unless you have an analog-only monitor (which would have be very old), VGA support simply adds unneeded expense, and D-sub connectors waste real estate on both the graphics solution (card and/or motherboard) and the monitor.

Before assuming the board is bad, or even going through the hassle of trying it on another computer, I don't see where you said you ensured you connected the required 8-pin supplemental power connector directly from the power supply.

So as trents suggested,
trents said:
Did you remember to run the power leads directly from the PSU to the video card? An Rx570 will not run on PCI-e bus power alone.

Sorry for replying so late and thanks to all those that responded. I appreciate the education. This has been resolved and the RX570 works GREAT! On a whim after reading all your posts, I plugged it in and it fired up without issue. I had plugged it in originally when I built the system and got the beep code for No VGA Adapter available. I mistakenly thought that meant I had to have a VGA port plug in, which the RX570 didn't have. I was using the HDMI on it though and it still didn't work along with the onboard which I found the resolution to in another place (no onboard graphics on the CPU). One suggestion said the Asrock had an issue where it wouldn't recognize any extended video card until the bios was flashed, so I flashed the bios from a USB drive and then tried the onboard again (prior to discovering the CPU limitation mentioned above) and still had issues. While reading the posts though I realized I never plugged the RX570 in again after the bios flash, so I did that and as mentioned it fired right up.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I love this system. Lightening fast. Windows installed on the SSD in 10 minutes. It installed so fast that I thought there was a problem so I formatted it again and started over :) Second time was 10 minutes also.

Thanks again everyone!

I'm wondering if it was ever seated properly in the first place. Its a 'new' board so it shouldn't have any issues with that card.

I believe so, though I didn't put the card back in until after I had tried so many other things with the "onboard" graphics, which were non existent, that I can't be sure. Another forum had suggested that the Asrock had this problem sometimes and needed to be flashed to recognize the extended card. The card seemed to be seated properly and the two fans on it were spinning, though that doesn't mean it was seated properly, just that it had power. So I suppose it could have been that the card wasn't in all the way, but I did screw it down and it had no issues with that, so I thought it was in good. I have built a few systems through the years. This is my first in the last 5 years (replacing the one I built 5 years ago) and the VGA issue threw me as I have never had that issue and never had a video card without a VGA port :)

Thanks again everyone.

Card in one of the PCIe slots. That is how it refers to it in the motherboard documentation and on the other forum where I got the idea to flash the card... something not on the motherboard itself.. maybe I am using the wrong term... sorry.

So you are using it in context to refer to an "extension" of the onboard/integrated GPU?

Well that is how the motherboard documentation refers to it. The motherboard has onboard graphics, but the CPU does not, so that might be why the motherboard differentiates it. Not sure. It is not part of the motherboard, so it is something extended off the motherboard (aka in addition to). That was part of the original issue. I didn't realize that the motherboard and CPU had to have onboard graphics for the onboard graphics to work. I thought all of it was on the motherboard, so I thought I had onboard graphics, but some of the fine print in the motherboard information said "only with a A series CPU".

Sorry, as mentioned, I might not be using the right term, as mentioned before. Just quoting how the motherboard manual refers to it as (in 20 languages :))

Yes, essentially all modern Intel CPUs have an integrated gpu so a discrete video card is not required. As you have now discovered, this is not true in the AMD world. With AMD, only the APU line of processors has integrated graphics which, by the way are pretty darn good, and superior to the IGPs found in current Intel CPUs.

Back