• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sound problem with NVidia GTX 1060

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I'm baffled by this so I'm reaching out to the OCF community for suggestions. Our church recently upgrading the sound booth computer to a Dell XPS 8920 desktop. We have a computer monitor and a projector connected to it. Our computer connects to a switcher via HDMI that sends the video signal to the projector via Cat5 and the sound to the sound system. On our old computer (which was a laptop) both sound and video came through the projector and sound system just fine via HDMI. With the new computer, both sound and video are output on the computer monitor when connected to the GTX 1060 via HDMI. However, when the projector/switcher is connected to the GTX 1060 via HDMI, the video displays properly on the projector but the sound does not come through the sound system. Interestingly, both sound and video come through just fine when the projector/switcher is connected to the HDMI port on the motherboard, which runs on the on-board Intel graphics. I would like to have the projector/switcher connected to the GTX 1060 if possible, because the worship software we use (ProPresenter 6) requires a 1GB video card and I'm not sure if the on-board Intel graphics are enough to handle the projector. I just can't figure out why the GTX 1060 outputs sound to the monitor, but not the projector. Thanks for any direction or insight.

Have you tried setting the playback settings to "NVIDIA High Definition Audio Default Device"?

Right-click over the speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner of your Windows taskbar. Select "Playback Devices".

screen08.jpg

Be sure to set it to default once it's selected.

Have you tried setting the playback settings to "NVIDIA High Definition Audio Default Device"?

Right-click over the speaker icon on the bottom right hand corner of your Windows taskbar. Select "Playback Devices".

View attachment 195861

Be sure to set it to default once it's selected.

Yes, the problem is that when I have the projector plugged into the GTX 1060, it shows "not plugged in" for all the playback devices except for the Asus monitor. When I plug the projector into the on-board HDMI port, then the Hitachi projector shows up in the playback devices list. Strangely enough, when I right click on the desktop and open the NVidia Control Panel, the Hitachi projector does show up as a connected sound device. So it seems that the GPU itself detects the projector as a sound device but Windows won't show it as plugged in in the playback devices list. I'm beginning to think that there is some miscommunication between the switcher that the links the computer and projector, but then why does the on-board Intel graphics card have no problem?

OK, a bit of a conundrum. I'm wondering if this is a driver issue. Is your GPU driver up to date? Does your switcher require drivers? I've never set-up an audio system like this so hopefully some other members with more experience can chime in. Have you tried by-passing the switcher and plugging directly into the projector?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm spit balling here, I am. :)

OK, a bit of a conundrum. I'm wondering if this is a driver issue. Is your GPU driver up to date? Does your switcher require drivers? I've never set-up an audio system like this so hopefully some other members with more experience can chime in. Have you tried by-passing the switcher and plugging directly into the projector?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm spit balling here, I am. :)

I appreciate the help. I was wondering the same thing as you about a driver for the switcher, and I already sent the company that sold and installed the switcher an email about drivers. I'll post an update here when I hear something from them. At this point I'm thinking that there is a firmware or driver issue with the switcher and for whatever reason it will receive sound from Intel graphics but not NVidia graphics, and I'm hoping this can be fixed with an update.

I did not try bypassing the switcher because the projector is too far away to run an HDMI cable. We have the switcher, in part, because it also functions as an HDMI extender by converting the signal transmission via Cat5/Cat6 over long distances. If it turns out that the switcher cannot be updated, then I will have to look at an alternative HDMI extender that will work with NVidia. The other option is to connect the computer directly to one of the stereo inputs on our sound board via the 3.5mm audio jack on the computer. I'd prefer to have audio over HDMI since it's digital, but going over analog through the 3.5mm jack would be the least expensive option.

Right click the desktop and open Nvidia Control Panel>Set Up Digital Audio and check Verify displays that will appear as audio devices in the Windows Sound Settings, just in case.

Update: I talked with the sound and video company that sold and installed the switcher and projector and I also talked with technical support at the company that manufactures the switcher. Further, I worked with Dell support today. The only convincing explanation I got was from the Dell tech who told me that the GTX 1060 is HDMI 1.4 and the projector is HDMI 1.1, and while the video is backwards compatible, the audio signal is not. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and update the firmware on the switcher. Other than that, it doesn't look like there is anything I can do apart from replacing hardware. The easy solution will be to wire the 3.5mm stereo output on the Dell tower directly into the sound system. There is an audio input on the back of the switcher that corresponds with the HDMI channel the computer is plugged into, so if the firmware update doesn't do it I'll just pull a balanced stereo cable from the computer to the switcher and wire up a 3.5mm jack for the computer end.

what I had to do to get audio via displayport.
install complete nvidea driver, including audio.
rightclick audio in system tray, select speakers.
go into device manager and disable the realtech audio driver.
reboot.

what I had to do to get audio via displayport.
install complete nvidea driver, including audio.
rightclick audio in system tray, select speakers.
go into device manager and disable the realtech audio driver.
reboot.

I gave this a try. It didn't work for me.

Also, I updated the firmware on the switcher, and that didn't do anything either. It looks like my best option at this point is to run an audio cable form the 3.5mm jack on the Dell directly to the sound system. It won't be difficult to do. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Back