• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is more important?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

youngbuck

Which matters more? Quality speakers or a quality sound card?

Say I have an alright sound card, and some alright speakers.. and I got a few extra buck to upgrade either one, and only one... which do I upgrade? Speakers or sounds card?

From what I have noticed, quality speakers matter a lot more than a quality sound card... BUT I am not saying that the sound card doesnt need to be high quality.

-YB

the speakers because if you got a good soundcard, those speakers would defy the purpose of the new soundcard, were as you would hear a difference if you go tthe new speakers

All in all, i say go with the new speakers

Speakers.

In my experience, it takes an exceptional ear to detect the audio quality improvement between one generation of sound cards. But moving up one level in speaker quality will amaze you.

BHD

Ok, that's what I was thinking, but I haven't hear enough to cases first hand to be completely sure.

I have seen Speakers that say they are 4.1 surround sound, will they work with a sound card that supports 5.1 surround sound? Does the card have to support 5.1 to support 4.1?

-YB

It only needs to support 4.1 if that is all you are going to be using. Although, I haven't seen any sound cards advertised as 4.1, only 5.1, so you are good there. I vote for speakers because I have a 2.1 system and using the onboard sound they have really good sound.

deffinately speakers. The worst piece of equipment in audio reproduction is speakers. It is easy to build an amp, or soundcard with good quality and sound reproduction. The speakers, on the otherhand, are the MOST diffical thing to make sound proper. So, I would put all my money on a good set of speakers.
you can make a bad card sound good with good speakers, you can nat make a bad set of speakers sound good with just the card. Nuff said?

Yeah, thats what I noticed in a friend's situation. He got some of the best speakers out for PC (over $200). He had some crappy sound card, but the sound was excellent!

Then get went and bought an Audigy Gamer or Platinum (not sure which one), and I didn't even notice any sound difference until he told me, and even then I could barely tell.

-YB

Yes, I believe having a mid ranged sound card with amazin speakers is better sound than having a real good sound card with low level speakers. You notice better trebble and bass with decent or better speakers than you would with a better sound card.

I have to say a Mid-ranged sound card is better for me...I dont really use my speakers(klipsch 4.1) for anything other than watching a movie on my puter...
I mainly use my Sennheiser Headphones for my FPS and my music listening...
Id have to go with my sound card being more impotant(SCTB)

Back