• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

more Xeon questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

What kind of heatsinks do Xeonbs use?
can you O/C a Xeon?
what kind of temps do they get?
and how well does windows manage the 2 CPU and the chipset, i.e. do both CPUs get used to thier full potential?
And what is it with the diferent kinds of Xeons I see, like a n HP Xeon and an IBM Xeon and a Compaq Xeon? are the chip's diferent somehow?

the difference is this. hp, compaq, ibm, are not brands of xeons. they are xeon servers.

there are p2 based xeons and p3 based xeons, as well as p4 based xeons.

just like any other dually, i would assume they work to their full potential if you can push them to that.

you cannot oc a xeon as far as i know.

they use heatsinks based on their socket size. ex. socket 620.

P4 based Xeons can be overclocked on the Iwill DP400. It's not easy, you need a soldering iron.

Standard P4 heatsinks work fine although you have to be careful with the size. The keep out zone on Xeon boards is different than P4 boards. Capacitors on either side of the socket are closer.

it's difficult to put a p4 (socket 423 or 478) on a xeon based processor (603 pin) because the cpu die size is soo much bigger.

I think that if you had the tenacity to do it, it'd be possible. And as far as i know, Xeons are extremely difficult to Overclock.

well i'm just talkin about heatsinks. i mean are there xeon heatsinks designed for xeons...there should be. where would i find these?

Socket 603 HSFs are hard to come by. I haven't seen them anywhere. I'd just use the HSFs Intel sends with the CPUs. They're alot like the P4 HSFs I've seen; pretty good HSFs.

Well what kind of temps do they get?
and how similar are the dimentions? would the plastic cloip that hocks onto the mobo mounting on a p4 hsf work on a sock603 board?

2CPU was down when I made my first post. For information on overclocking Xeons, read this thread. For some ideas on alternative heatsinks, read this thread.

Well, if u get the retail box, you'll get a passive heatsink that comes with it, apparently it works pretty good, cuz most people who have xeons use them.
I haven't personally seen any HSFs specifically designed for socket 603 (Xeon) but i'm sure you can slap a fan on top of the passive heatsink that comes in the retail box, i'll be able to tell you on friday, when my xeons come in :)

Also, newer p4s and all xeons have a little sensor that regulates the voltage, so that if the chip starts to overheat, it will clock down the voltage until the CPU produces less heat. You can even take off the heatsink while it is operating and it will just clock down and still work (i would not recommend this just because i dont wanna fry my $400 xeon mobo, and $250 2.4ghz xeon)

Check this article on Tomshardware.com it shows what happens when u take off the heatsink. http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/heatvideo-02.html
It is said that the xeons include the same 'clock-throttling' that p4s exhibit when it comes to clocking down to save the CPU.

Retail Xeons come with Intel Wind Tunnel heatsinks. Passive or quiet, they are not. ;)

Here is what thay look like

wind.gif

From Intel.com

There are also some heatsinks that come with the supermicro retail boards, they look exactly like the intel ones. I'm not sure which ones work better, as i have not tested them out, right now,

Back