• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How warm is your Corsair PC3200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lightbulb8817

I have the cas2.5 version, and it's given me some trouble. After 2-3 hours of gaming, the game freezes and "stutters" at that one section. I think it is my memory running too hot. I am running the memory at the recommended settings and default voltage. The stick is very warm, but still not hot after I run sandra burn-in 6 times. Does it sound like a heat issue? I also can never get the memory to run stably at anything above default voltage. My memory tops out around ddr 420, but it is not completely stable during gaming so I run it at ddr 400.
Thanks.

I doubt the memory is causing your problems due to heat. I have some XMS3000 at 2.8v and sure it gets warm but far from what I would call hot. I have heard of P4 systems that stutter, not really sure what the culprit is. Also, you have tried increasing the vdimm but the memory becomes unstable? Just want to make sure I understand what your saying.

yes, I have tried raising the vdimm. When I do it, my computer is fine for like 15mins, but then my system files corrupt and I get a blue screen when I startup. I can never get rid of the blue screen no matter what I do, so I have to format and reinstall win2k. I also get many different kinds of blue screens. I saw some memory dump stuff couple of times. Oh yeah, the room temp is 70-80C and my case temp is 27-33C, sometimes it can go up to 35C. So how can I run my memory stably above default voltage? And what could the stuttering and freezing (at the same time) be cause by? Does that sound like a heat issue?

This is heat problem that caused instability. My guess is VGA card. I have this problem before and I have solved the crash problems. (By the way, I run my Mushkin PC3200 memory at 2.70V @ DDR394.... so I am surprised that you could run yours at 2.50V.)

As you run the game for let say 20 minutes, touch some VGA components like Voltage Regulators, DC-DC regulators, DRAM memory and Coils. As you touch these components, you should able to differentiate between "not hot" , "warm" , "hot" , and "damn hot". You can use normal epoxy and small heatsinks to lower the temp.

See picture below: I marked yellow for hot components you should check.

asw7576 said:
This is heat problem that caused instability. My guess is VGA card. I have this problem before and I have solved the crash problems. (By the way, I run my Mushkin PC3200 memory at 2.70V @ DDR394.... so I am surprised that you could run yours at 2.50V.)

As you run the game for let say 20 minutes, touch some VGA components like Voltage Regulators, DC-DC regulators, DRAM memory and Coils. As you touch these components, you should able to differentiate between "not hot" , "warm" , "hot" , and "damn hot". You can use normal epoxy and small heatsinks to lower the temp.

See picture below: I marked yellow for hot components you should check.

I really doubt it's my video card. I had an ealier problem with the sound turning itself off when I play Medal of Honor: Allied assault. I tried everything. I even put a Tt Crystal Orb on my video card. I fixed the issue by reinstalling the game.

I still think it's my ram running too hot. I never had any problems with my game crashing when the ram was in slot one (next to the cpu cooler). I moved the ram to slot 2 (farther away from the cpu cooler) and I started getting these crashes. The fan on the cpu cooler blows on the hs and then the air goes onto the ram after it comes out of the hs.

I just put my stick back to slot 1 and I haven't had any problems in a while.

I am still going to rma my stick because it cause data corruption if i run it at rated specs. I also hope my new stick will overclock better.

In the mean time, i just ordered 2 sticks of mushkin pc-3200 for my next computer that hopely will be using the new Intel Granite Bay Dual channel ddr chipset. I'll post the results on how far i can overclock the my new mushkin memory. It should arrive Friday, or Monday.

my corsair 3200 is burning and i need to run it at 2.8 or less or else it becomes unstable. i have tried to mount a fan over it but i cant manage to get one cause i have a lianli pc68 case which is really packed! i am thinkin that i would be able to take my fsb much higher if only i had a fan on the thing!

Emericana said:
my corsair 3200 is burning and i need to run it at 2.8 or less or else it becomes unstable. i have tried to mount a fan over it but i cant manage to get one cause i have a lianli pc68 case which is really packed! i am thinkin that i would be able to take my fsb much higher if only i had a fan on the thing!

Why can't you take it higher? You aren't even running it at DDR 400 which it is rated for, but I did notice that you are running your stick at aggresive timings.

im running pc 2700 ram samsung

and my board already gives the ram 2.68 2.70v and im using the fastest ram settings poriible 1t command 2 cas ect and with a 170 fsb added on top it gets pretty hot after paying a few games but i doubt hot ram can give you lock ups like that.

My 9700 pro the ram on that was freaking burning hot and it ran fine. Now its modded so i dont worry about heat anymore :)

I youre worried about heat then go buy some cheap ramm sink cases

here look at this

http://www.crazypc.com/products/cooling/cooling.htm#chipcoolers

look at the mmeory cooling kit for $10

Thanks for all your reply guys. It's sounds like it isn't the ram running to hot, I think that I may have just received a defective part. My ram can't even hand anything above 2.5vdimm. And it doesn't even run at it's rated timings. When I run it at rated timings, I get data corruption after 2-3 months.
Thanks for all who helped,
Roger

lightbulb8817 said:
I can never get rid of the blue screen no matter what I do, so I have to format and reinstall win2k.

Instead of re-installing, did you try clearing the CMOS first?

-YB

i could run my ram 200mhz but that would be w/ relaxed by spd timings. also, my harddrive does not like a fsb above 195 so i just keep it where its at now, which is pretty decent bandwith and i get pretty good scores mem also.

My Corsair 3200 cas2 is only slightly warm even when i've finished about 3hours of UT..

vDimm is at 2.8 if i remember correctly, speed of it is in my sig..

One reason maybe is coz the CPU fan blows onto my AX7, and as the ram is about 2 cm next to it.. it kinda blows onto my ram as well.. ^_^

I have a stick of Corsair XMS3200 (not cas2) which used to run find at 2.5-3-3-6, which is what Corsair promises, but lately my comp has been locking up randomly under heavy CPU load and when I lowered the timings to 2.5-4-4-7 the problems mysteriously vanished. I think my Corsair memory is going bad. I might have to RMA it... :eh?: :mad: :argue:

GREAT NEWS!

It's not my memory causing the problems. It's my SIS chipset/Asus P4S533 mobo causing the problem. My ram can do DDR 460!
How did I get DDR 460? This is what I did:
I lowered the FSB to 115 and I used the 3:6 divider.
It is 100% stable. I'm also only using 2.7vdimm.
I have also tried 120/3*6=DDR 480. It boots into Windows and does interent surfing etc. but it can't pass 3dmark, or Hot Cpu tester.
If anyone want to buy my mobo for $90, e-mail or pm me. My mobo is perfectly stable even up to 150fsb with my 1.8a, but you have to use the 4:5 divider. It can't do anything above 138-140+ fsb with the 4:6 divider. My guess is that the chipset just can't handle the speed and high bandwidth.

Back