• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volcano 7+, heat issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm, that doesn't make very much sense. I would guess its a problem with your insocket thermistor(since it is highly inaccurate and there are many different variables invloved).

It sounds like the label on your switch is upside-down. Are you 100% certain that the fan is moving faster when you set it on high? It should be quite noisy. Is the fan plugged into the motherboard or into the psu? The motherboard may not be able to handle the high setting. If everything checks out, you may have a voltage regulator problem. Do you change the setting while the computer is running? If so, try changing the setting after you turn the computer off.

Freeloader said:
It sounds like the label on your switch is upside-down. Are you 100% certain that the fan is moving faster when you set it on high? It should be quite noisy. Is the fan plugged into the motherboard or into the psu? The motherboard may not be able to handle the high setting. If everything checks out, you may have a voltage regulator problem. Do you change the setting while the computer is running? If so, try changing the setting after you turn the computer off.

The speed controller hooks directly into a 4 pin molex effectly not allowing you to use MB power. I have a feeling it may be the socket thermister cause when I crank mine up to high I drop about 4 degrees C depending on what I'm doing.

Utilizing the KISS principal (Keep It Simple Stupid) if you truely think the processor is getting hotter. Run Prime95 for a bit with the fan on low, take note of them temperature it tells you and also feel the air comming off the heatsink (or the actual copper base for that matter), after this, pump it up to the High setting and let P95 run for the same amount of time. Take note of the temp (if it says it's higher) than feel the air again (or the copper base). Theoretically, it should be a little cooler.

This is not the most accurate test you can use but if you have a limited number of resources for seeing if it is getting hotter, this will work.

Back