• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum length for USB cable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

I have a project in mind and this is part of it.... so does anyone know what the maximum length a USB cable can be?

Normally within reason no. The only thing that you may have a problem is if you want it to be powered through the USB plug, sometimes with a longer run the power to the unit loses some of its voltage on longer runs. Some of the USB hubs have the ability to use the power of hub and not rely on the power from the main computer.

CaptBill said:
Normally within reason no. The only thing that you may have a problem is if you want it to be powered through the USB plug, sometimes with a longer run the power to the unit loses some of its voltage on longer runs. Some of the USB hubs have the ability to use the power of hub and not rely on the power from the main computer.

If the 5V line loses power on longer runs, imagine what would be left of the data signal (which is alot less Voltage/Current).

AFAIK the maximum lenght is 16 feet (5 meters), but you can buy USB Active Extension cables which allow you to use up to 70 feet (you'll need 4 16 feet extension cables for that).

OK, thanks for the Info, What I have in mind, is my computer room is upstairs at the back of my house, I plan to put my webcam in my bedroom window which is on the front side and use it to check when i hear a car or a knock on the door so I don't have to run downstair for nothing. Its only about 20ft away, could just give it a try.

I am sure someone here can tell you how to construct a singal booster. Or you could buy some high-quality wiring and make your own USB cable. Or.... you could build a comp that is close to the window and just run a RCA cable to your TV. There shouldnt be any loss of signal strength that way...

Well my plan was to make a USB cable from cat5 cable.... should be good enough I think, I can't use coax because its a USB webcam.

I DID IT!!!! :) :) :) I got it to work at 25+ft... its just about 25 1/2 feet actually, and it works without a hint of a prob! I tries 30ft right off but the comp would not recognise the camera, so I chopped out 5 feet and tried angain and it works! I made sure to soulder the joints to make good connections.

That's cool. Now hook up a speaker out there and you can scare kids this halloween. Start yelling at them right as they're about to ring the bell and describe their costumes so they know it's not just a recording.

--Illah

Illah said:
That's cool. Now hook up a speaker out there and you can scare kids this halloween. Start yelling at them right as they're about to ring the bell and describe their costumes so they know it's not just a recording.

--Illah

<evil grin> HA! I like that idea! </evil grin>

funkdamonkman said:
i could think of many uses for a remote camera :D

um... i mean.... yea..... :D

Now now.... don't forget the steam of a shower will most likely fry the camera ;)

Back