• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

petteyg359

Likes Popcorn
My Google searches just bring up a crap ton of 802.11 and BT adapters. Does anybody know where to find wireless USB adapters, that just trasmit the USB signal?

I would need to know the "what" of it all. There isn't a thing of wireless USB. There is, however, the ability to extend USB over other networks like BT or Cat5 wire. E.G. Wireless mice tend to work over a BT connection. The little dongle that most of them have is a BT transceiver. I myself just looked up a USB transceiver for an old Xbox 360 controller. USB as a standard does not have a wireless implementation that I'm aware of.

What are you looking to do with wireless USB? The answer to this question can open all doors to your solution. ;)

There was a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB

While that is no longer an option, I'd still like a generic device to convert e.g. a mechanical keyboard into a wireless device. Every one I've seen that has some wireless ability built in is either using non-Cherry switches (so I cannot put on my preferred blank caps) or is missing a numpad or is some other non-standard layout.

I did find a Bluetooth converter or two on Amazon from the kind of junk Chinese brand names that are invented to be thrown away in a week, but I'd rather get something a bit more supported than that :)

Wireless mice tend to work over a BT connection. The little dongle that most of them have is a BT transceiver. I myself just looked up a USB transceiver for an old Xbox 360 controller.
RF and BT are not the same thing. However, they are both use wireless technologies on the 2.4GHz band. A RF mouse use a USB dongle that is specific to the manufacturer of the mouse. A BT mouse usually work with the computer's built in Bluetooth transceiver but can also work with a Bluetooth USB dongle. These dongles differ from the RF ones in that they are not specific to any manufacturer.

I gave a quick glance at the Wikipedia article. I noted that game controllers were listed. Made me wonder if the Xbox 360 controller used this tech. If so, one of thier dongles might work.

There was a thing
I think you answered your question there.

Not every idea is a good idea. That tech is nearly 20 years old. Tech has advanced so much in the past 2 decades. Though it has branched away from allowing you to make any device wireless USB into natively building that support into many devices. That likely killed the market share for a wireless USB converter. Which caused manufacturers to drop out and evolution of it to end.

There was a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_USB

While that is no longer an option, I'd still like a generic device to convert e.g. a mechanical keyboard into a wireless device. Every one I've seen that has some wireless ability built in is either using non-Cherry switches (so I cannot put on my preferred blank caps) or is missing a numpad or is some other non-standard layout.

I did find a Bluetooth converter or two on Amazon from the kind of junk Chinese brand names that are invented to be thrown away in a week, but I'd rather get something a bit more supported than that :)
Not sure how you power the adapter on the keyboard side. That seems like a hurdle.

Why not use the cheap Chinese units? If they work, then you got what you want. If they don't, they were cheap. If they work for a while and break, get another, they're cheap. Or it gives you time to find another solution while testing the cheap units.

Last edited:
I gave a quick glance at the Wikipedia article. I noted that game controllers were listed. Made me wonder if the Xbox 360 controller used this tech. If so, one of thier dongles might work.
No. The Microsoft USB wireless dongles use proprietary technology. They will only work with their Xbox controllers. This is just one of the many wireless technologies that operate on the 2.4GHz band.

A few years ago Logitech launched Bolt. It is a new proprietary Bluetooth Low Energy wireless technology on the 2.4GHz band.

BTW, I have a couple Xbox One wireless controllers. They will either work with regular Bluetooth or a Microsoft USB wireless dongle. Microsoft recommend that you connect with one of their dongles because you can then plug a headset into the controller. You can't do that if you connect with Bluetooth.

Not sure how you power the adapter on the keyboard side. That seems like a hurdle.

Why not use the cheap Chinese units? If they work, then you got what you want. If they don't, they were cheap. If they work for a while and break, get another, they're cheap. Or it gives you time to find another solution while testing the cheap units.
"Only a rich man can afford cheap tools." - Somebody

I don't want to "just buy another" and reward a company that makes a crappy product multiple times. If anybody knows a keyboard maker that uses Cherry switches, makes a normal 101-105-key layout, and offers Bluetooth or other wireless connectivity, that's an option too, just less preferable since I already have a keyboard I like, it just lacks the wireless part.

Last edited:
Back