• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bank interleave?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Bank Interleave.
Interleaving lets the banks of memory alternate their refresh and access cycles. One bank will be in refresh cycle while another is being accessed. This setting here improves performance. Since all banks refresh cycles are staggered setting this to interleave smoothes out this process to pipeline effect.

With interleaving the first bank can start sending data to the CPU while the second bank is receiving an address from the CPU. Without Interleaving the CPU sends the address to the memory, received the data back and then waits for the memory to refresh before initiating the next data transfer. So interleaving increases memory performance quite a bit.

Set to 4-bank interleave for best performance.

Placid, I've gotten excellent advice from you before, so maybe you'll know this too-Do P4 boards lack this setting? I've seen a fair number of newer Intel chipset based P4 boards reviewed where they specifically state the interleave setting was not available (check out the recent 845pe boards reveiwed over at anandtech, for instance). I know I can't find it on my 4G4A+ board. Is this something that is auto assigned on these boards or what?

The ability to perfom bank interleaving is dependant on the chipset but I was unable to find anything about the I845e chipsets support of it looking thru the chipset information at intel.

As a guess it does since it is a common feature in modern chipsets and is probably just configured automatically depending on the number of banks available on the memory installed.

Thanks for the update! My chipset is the 845G which is pretty much the same as the E except for unofficial support for DDR333 and onboard video. I would expect you're right about the chipset supporting bank interleave. The memory I'm using has chips on either side and is detected as 2 banks in Sandra and others. I'll do some fiddling in my bios to find out what works best. I'll also check around a bit to see if there are any other reviews of boards that mention this feature.

Back