• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobo search almost done and need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

Ok, I have narrowed my mobo search down to three boards. Now i already know what board you guys are gonna say to get I think, but which one of these three should I get?

First of all an AOPEN board (Ive heard bad things about them) The thing is it is from newegg and has agp x8
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-137-010

The second is a Gigabyte board. Notice how i am looking at KT400 boards?
http://www.fticomputer.com/cgis/detail.cgi?product=MB-GA-7VAX&ses=&cat=MB

The final one is the Epox board. This one is a KT333 and is more expensive
http://www.cnetpc.com/productinfo.asp?item=MB-EP8K5A2P

What are the overclocking options on these boards? Any help is appreciated and thank you in advanced

[EDIT]I also like the pc3200 on the first to boards [/EDIT]

I would recommend the Epox 8k3a. The Epox board you are looking at just has more features(not related with overclocking). The 8k3a has vcore adjustments to 2.2v and vdimm to 3.2v. Great overclocking board. Aopen isn't known for making very good motherboards, they are mostly geared towards the OEM manufacturers. Gigabyte boards are quality but in terms of overclocking ability they are pretty poor. Go with the Epox.

Dp you mean just the 8k3a or the 8k3ae or the 8k3a+? Does the one i linked to have the same oc options cuz i'd like to have the onboard LAN and audio, and thy are both about the same price. I dont see how the other one is that much better

Last edited:
TheFrag said:
Dp you mean just the 8k3a or the 8k3ae or the 8k3a+? Does the one i linked to have the same oc options cuz i'd like to have the onboard LAN and audio, and thy are both about the same price. I dont see how the other one is that much better

The one you have there is fine, should provide the same overclockability as the 8k3a or 8k3a+. If they are the same price then by all means go with the 8k5a2+

I have one AOpen board- slow at defaults, etc. Very stable, but I would not get another one. Not unless it was less than $5 anyway.

I have built systems with a few Gigabyte boards in the past: I found them to be better than AOpen, but not something I would build a system for myself with.

I am very happy with my Epox 8KHA+ boards (3 of them)
Fast, stable, OC options and easy to volt mod.

In any motherboard comparison I am inclined towrds Epox on the strength of my experience so far.

That said, I do not have any of those boards in particular, and little familiarity with the first two at all; but the 8k3/ 8k5s I have heard a bit about ;)
If I was getting a new board right now the 3a+ would be my choice I think if I really wanted the KT333 chipset; but if I could find another refurb 8KHA+ I'd grab that, yet again.

i am pretty sure i am going to go with the epox i picked out. Thanx for all your guyz's help!

well, i just went camping and got back and didnt want to start a new post. I found this mobo today http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=13-130-377&DEPA=1 and it is now a serious contender. I like the price and the fact that it is from newegg. Well, I was checking out this mobo on their site ( http://www.msicomputer.com/product/detail_spec/product_detail.asp?model=KT4VL ) and i noticed that it said that only certain pc3200 modules would work. NOw i want the corsair XMS, but it says only 512mb. Is this a bunch of BS cuz they have a deal or something? Also, Is this board a good overclocker. Woops, almost forgot, I plan to use the onboard land and audio, but will that hurt the OC ability? O ya, I also like the x8 AGP and 4 back USB as well as 2 front. Wait, when i minimized this window to read an IM, i read a little more. The corsair XMS stuff is this: CMX512-3200 XMS3200v2.1 512MB CL=2.5 I thought this stuff ran at CL2, not 2.5. I am really confused, can any of you help me out here?
Thnx.

Ya I was going to suggest the MSI KT4V. $84 is hard to beat. :)''

I burned in an XP 1600+ at stock speeds, now I've got the FSB at 166, no probs. I will work to get more later this week. It has good Ocing features, volt for mem cpu and agp, FSB, CPU multi, etc..

It is still too new for great results, like, I haven't seen anyone at 200 FSB on this board yet, but some get there on the epox's.

I don't think you need to worry about the "only does 400 DDR with these memories". I think MSI's concern there is that 400 DDR is still new, and at least one company is taking DDR333 and just ocing and relabling as DDR400. I think MSI is bascially saying use good **** if you want to do DDR400.

My take is, the KT400 boards are really just KT333 with more features, e.g. 8X AGP. Without a 1/6 divisor, DDR400, i.e. TURE FSB = 200, is gonna depend on if you other peripherals can handle it.

So for pure FSB and OCing, kt333 is as good as kt400. Now, the MIS KT4V is thus IMHO, a CHEAP, board with decent OCing and good features.

well I am pretty sure i am gonna get the KT4V but other deals cold emerge. Thanks a lot!

[EDIT] w00r, 5 stars! [/EDIT]

Back