• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing new build and can’t get screen to turn on - need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MorePower!

Cpu is 12600k. Mobo is asus prime b660. Ram is rip jaws 288 pin ddr4. Test gpu is sapphire Radeon 7870 Xt.

I put on the cpu, ram, and cpu cooler. Then I attached a monitor with a display port cable. Then I connected the psu with to the mobo.

This board doesn’t have a power button on the mobo so I shorted the two pins that power it on. The cpu fan turned on with lights but the monitor wouldn’t show anything.

So then I attached a gpu to the mobo and ran dvi cable between the gpu and monitor. When I fire up the rig the gpu and cpu fans spin but still nothing on the monitor. I’m not sure what is wrong.

Cpu is 12600k. Mobo is asus prime b660. Ram is rip jaws 288 pin ddr4. Test gpu is sapphire Radeon 7870 Xt.

I put on the cpu, ram, and cpu cooler. Then I attached a monitor with a display port cable. Then I connected the psi to the mobo.

This board doesn’t have a power button on the mobo so I shorted the two pins that power it on. The cpu fan turned on with lights but the monitor wouldn’t show anything.

So then I attached a gpu to the mobo and ran dvi cable between the gpu and monitor. When I fire up the rig the gpu and cpu fans spin but still nothing on the monitor. I’m not sure what is wrong.
Do you get a display on the monitor if you're connected to the board's DVI, HDMI or D-sub ports?
The board only has DisplayPort or hdmi. I don’t have an hdmi cable tho. I’ll go buy one soon.

What exact prime board do you have? What exact ddr4 do you have? Details help! Does that board have the 4 debug leds? What remains lit? That tells you where the problem is. ;)

That gpu may not be uefi, but the igpu should work. Get that hdmi cable in (borrow one off your tv or something...takes minutes. Ive got more of these today than AOL disks 20 years ago...lol!) Displayport should work though...

Edit: not all ddr4 will work, no. But it should. Is that memory on the compatibility list? Os it in the right slots? If not perhaps that's it? Can you flash the mobo bios somehow?

Is this the ram you have -> F4-3200C16S-8GRKB

Last edited:
from my other thread:
The motherboard is an Asus Prime B660 Plus D4 LGA 1700. The ram is ripjaws v series 8gb x 2 288 pin DDR4 3200 PC4 25600.

Thanks for any help.

Is this the ram you have -> F4-3200C16S-8GRKB? Is that memory on the compatibility list? Is it in the right slots?

Does that board have the 4 debug LEDs (above the DRAM slots)? What remains lit when it freezes/doesn't boot? That tells you where the problem is.

My current Asus build did this when I first built it. I was able to get it to turn on using the HDMI plug on the board then updated the BIOS which fixed it. Double check your BIOS is the newest version.

Im not sure if my psu is right for my mobo. There’s an 8 pin socket on my mobo that says “ATX” and none of the cables that came with my psu look to be able to fit it.

Also my psu came with a couple cables labeled cpu and I’m not sure where they go.

Does the mobo get all the power from the one big connector?

Also I got an HDMI cable and tried it. Still nothing.

Last edited:
is it in a case with a riser cable? If it is, it is it a pcie 3.0 riser? Many have issues with them- you may have to get it lit from the onboard video and then get into bios/eufi and change the default to gen 3 for the gpu

Im not sure if my psu is right for my mobo. There’s an 8 pin socket on my mobo that says “ATX” and none of the cables that came with my psu look to be able to fit it.
Your psu HAS TO have EPS cables for that. I'd imagine it has a single 4+4 cable (NOT 6+2! That's for gpu!).

But holy moly bro, yes that's a required plug on the board! Has been since before you've been a member here and a requirement on your current board. :)

Again, what debug LED remains lit when you power on???

Last edited:
Hahahaha. Sorry for being an old newb. I’ve only built one other pc and that was 11 years ago. Thank you for the help tho.

I managed to get the bios to show up on display port.

Last edited:
Check your bios to make sure it is set to CSM so as to be compatible with that old video card which may not work with bios set to UEFI mode. But it may not boot into windows in CSM if your drive is partitioned in GPT.

Back