• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati Or Nvidia

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scarface01

Well i play some games like gta3, mafia, hitmen 2, and ut2003, but i also like watching my movies on my tv with tvout. Now i heard Ati is the best for image quality, movie playback,and tv out, but also heard they have lots of driver problems and don't perform as good as nvidia cards in gaming. I want to know if there is a good Nvidia card that has almost or even better image quality than an ati card and also has good tv out, which can support 1024x768.

I hear that ATI has the better image quality for the tv out and games. I want to buy myself an ATI just for a change, a 9700pro sure would be a treat :p

Yeah, i want to try an ati, but i want it to perform better in games than my geforce 2 ti or it wouldnt be worth me buying it. My limit is 150 Canadian. i can get a Sapphire Ati 9000 (non pro) for 109 cnd and a geforce 3 ti for 129 cnd. Which is better for its price and which has a better tv out and which runs games better etc.

I'm planning to get an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB soon, mainly because I want to give ATI a try (not to mention the Radeon 9000 supports full DX 8.1, where as the GF3 Ti's only support DX8).

Last edited:
I have the 8500DV w/ 64mb RAM. I haven't encountered TOO many driver problems... The TV quality is pretty good, has lots of features. Only problem I've come across is that it has a tendancy to overheat, but it happens very rarely. My favorite thing is he remote! Haha. I love it!

get the 8500LE, good performance + image
it's $149 CAD for 128mb version here in vancouver, don't know in toronto...

I've heard ATI cards don't like GTA3.

Dunno if that has been fixed yet, but months into the release on PC ATI cards still did not work w/ it.

gta3 is unbearably stuttery with my 8500......i happen to think its rockstar's fault for making a crappy port but there are issues with Ati and that game.....whether it runs fine for you is luck......

a geforce3 Ti 200 is a bit faster than a 9000Pro but the 9000Pro has better image quality and high res out (1024x768)

I play gta 3 alot, my friend had a Ati Radeon 7000 PCI on one of his old computers, the image quality is way bettter than my geforce 2 ti, but it couldnt play games really well. So i think i might try a 9000 its only 109 Canadian. Also is the Sapphire Ati 9000(Non-Pro) good? like is it better than a geforce 3 ti200, because i can get that for 20 dollars more.

if you have money go for the Radeon 9700 pro otherwise go for a ti4200 (best bang for buck)

9000 Pro is slower than 8500 by the way

I truly love my 8500 (original, retail) and would recommend it any day.

When ATi initially launches a product, their drivers tend to have issues. Give them a month or two and they fix 'em. ATi has really improved in the driver support department, which has historically been their weak spot.

I do have problems in GTA3 but I really believe it's Rockstar to blame, not ATi as the other person said. GTA3 is known to be a poorly coded game, it got rushed out the door. As far as I know it's not just ATi cards that have problems with that game.

I think you'd be happy with a GF3 or an 8500.

You can get an 8500 LE for ~$87 @ Newegg and they can overclock pretty good. 8500s have great image quality (very crisp images, great aniso filtering).

Do Sapphire Video Cards Come with slower memory, Because i saw a Sapphire 9000 Pro for cheaper than the built by ati one, should i pay the extra for the built by ati or stay with the sapphire?

Out of these cards which is the best to get for their price:

Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti 200 64mb $129CND

Sapphite Ati 9000 (Non-Pro) 64mb $109CND

Sapphire 9000 Pro 64mb $145CND

I live in Toronto, ,and i just sold my Geforce 2 Ti to my friend so i need to pick up a video card tomorrow, I would love to get the 8500 or 8500Le but no stores in toronto have them for under 150.

why don't you order it i am sure you can find someplace a deal with free shipment go for 8500 it would be much better than 9000 pro that's for sure, if you can spend a lil i would highly recomend you go for a ti4200, it is said to be best value for money right now

with either ti4200 or 8500 / 8500 LE you won't go wrong

I don't really order online, i live in toronto and 8500LEs, are way more expensive to buy. Ive narrowed down my choices to ati 9000 (non pro) and a geforce 3 ti? which one is faster and has better image and by how much?

Back