• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

-<[US ROBOTICS Performance Pro Modem Help, please!]>-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

ok i need mad help.

just built the computer in my signature last week. have been wanting to get this $68 us robotics pci hardware modem (i.e. NOT winmodem) for a while now, but just never got around to it. so to wait until i got it, i tried to install my older creative labs modemblaster (which runs like someone's high school electronics project). well, upon detection by windows, it says "invalid data" and won't continue the installation. so i don't really mess with it, and just use my old computer to get online until i order the new US robotics modem. i figured that crappy winmodem just didn't agree with windows2000 so i put it back in my athlon win98 box, which is what i'm typing this from right now.

fast forward to this morning when my package arrives via fedex from newegg (great service, ordered monday @ 4p, got wednesday @ 10am, all the way across the continental US). anyways, install it along with a new black floppy drive i ordered. after wondering why my hard drive wasn't being detected, and realizing it was because i plugged a molex into it that wasn't plugged in to anything else, i fixed that and booted into windows2000....TO BE GREETED BY THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE! jesus christ, i just spent $68 on a freaking modem and all windows can tell me is that 'invalid data' is preventing me from completing the installation.

let me attempt to tell you everything that i've tried. well for starters, when the 'found new hardware' wizard comes up, it detects it as a US robotics 56k v.92 modem. i click yes when it asks to install it even without a digital signature. as soon as i click that, it comes up saying 'invalid data', something about the serial bus, and all i can do is click 'finish'. i have no idea why it is doing this. i installed it into another pci slot and it gave me the same error. i know my pci bus isn't shot because i have my audigy installed perfectly. plus, the mobo has only been operational for a week. its only given me this error with modems.

when i go into the device manager, it shows the serial bus as having an error, rather than the modem as having an error. i just don't have good luck with modems for some reason, but i spent so much on this one to 1) avoid winmodem resourcehoggedness, and 2) to have a modem that works in linux.

i doubt anything is wrong with the modem itself for the simple fact that the creative modemblaster gave me the same error when i attempted to install it. yes, its seated correctly. yes, i've tried to install it in another slot.

if anyone can offer me any insight or ideas as to why it is doing this or what i can do to fix it i would be VERY VERY greatful. the computer went together PERFECTLY. first one i've totally built 100% by myself, and i didn't have one glitch on building or installation, until now. i really want it to get online so i can download some diagnostic programs and upload some screenies to show you guys.

i'm off to the US robotics knowledge base now (edit: nevermind, the knowledge base is down), but i'm not holding my breath. you guys are my only hope.

thanks,

jeff

Last edited:
i click yes when it asks to install it even without a digital signature. as soon as i click that, it comes up saying 'invalid data', something about the serial bus, and all i can do is click 'finish'. i have no idea why it is doing this. i installed it into another pci slot and it gave me the same error. i know my pci bus isn't shot because i have my audigy installed perfectly. plus, the mobo has only been operational for a week. its only given me this error with modems.

aww, while i have 2 of these modems. i will help you out. first thing go to www.usr.com and get the new drivers. it will inform you of the vaild problem and allow you to d/l a new driver with digital signatures. fixes problem :D

heres more info.... your usr modem is flash upgradable, wait if yours is already v92 then it has been flashed because the v90 performance pro modem is flashable to v92. ne wayz check again im not sure if there are any new flashes but the above info will help, if you have trouble finding the info contact them via email they have great customer service. just make sure to include your part number and all the other good stuff. if not they will include an email stating what modem do you have :p

hope that helps

the new driver didn't help, i'm just going to

a) take out my sound card and everything unessential and put the modem in first so it'll push my irq's up.

b) reinstall windows and install the modem before anything else

jeff

not that i know of, i think the driver that i downloaded is the same one thats on the cd too. for some reason the cd wouldn't install the drivers right when i was setting the modem up, so i was glad i had downloaded and burned the driver that you told me to get to a cd, because that one did work.

jeff

I am thinking that maybe it was detecting the modem as an external modem. I have gotten that error before with my old external USR modem, which connected through a serial port. Glad to hear that you got your problem fixed though. Dont you just love the windows reliable plug-N-pray setup?

he he plug-n-pray :D

i love this modem...takes about 20 seconds to dial up and get connected, unlike 5 minutes with my creative winmode (redial like 50 times). this modem rocks and for 56k slowness, its pretty fast.

jeff

Back