• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static and rolly office chairs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzba11

I have a problem with charging myself with static electricity while sitting in my chair, and don't want to risk killing components. I know I can wear a static band, but I'd prefer to prevent static from being transferred to me in the first place.

Ideas, anyone? :beer:

I recently stole some stuff from the laundry room that was designed to remove static from clothes. It does however mention the possible use for killing static before it hits the computer (which is how I even thought of it).

The stuff is called Static Guard, and you just spray it on whatever you wish to annhailate static on (e.g. carpet, chair, you... :D). Just spray and work away.

JigPu

get a cheap humidifer
they cut down on it good

deez said:
a rubber floor mat might help

Not really practical, I'm in a dorm room(would look insanely dorky).

Looks like I'll have to pick up some of that static guard from the store next time I go.

Try the humidifier option. That works quite well. Also, I've seen anti-static strips that go across your keyboard and connect to a ground. Just touch that before you start typing. If you're worried about it while working on the PC, just leave it plugged in and be sure to touch an unpainted part of the chassis to ground yourself and try not to move around.

Back