• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think I just broke a 2nd sound card due to static from a blanket.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DareMe55

Thought this would be an interesting story to share, and see if anyone has any ideas.

Sound card I've been using for years, and the 2nd one I just bought. same one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=xonar_dg_sound_card-_-29-132-020-_-Product
Im also using Sennheiser HD 558s.

A couple of weeks ago I heard a small pop in my left ear and instantly heard white noise in both ears. Started googling to see if it was software, kinda said screw it and switched to onboard, worked fine so I knew my headphones weren't the problem. Sound cards are cheap so I just bought another. Bought it on july 30, 2015, but didnt install it until last sunday, august 9th 2015.

Switched back to the brand new soundcard, works fine, headphones are fine.

Well cut to a few minutes ago, I think I know what happened... Sitting in my chair with the headphone cord kinda wrapped all around me in my lap because its kinda long. I had a blanket on cause I was cold, I went to get up so I ripped my blanket off of me to throw on my bed and instantly head a small pop in my left ear and instant white noise. That's when it clicked.

Ive noticed sometimes when I take my blanket off I hear static from my PJ pants. I dont remember if I was using my blanket when the first sound card died, but now i must have, nothing else makes sense.

Anyone think this is what happened or has any ideas before I buy another sound card? Its only $30 so not that big of deal.

It's possible you sent static shock down the line into the port of the sound card and fried something. Do none of the other ports work, or just the main 3.5mm port?

It's possible you sent static shock down the line into the port of the sound card and fried something. Do none of the other ports work, or just the main 3.5mm port?

The green one is definitely messed up(well last night it was). tons of white noise same problem as the first. The only other I was able to test, was optical through my 5.1 speakers. Works fine.

edit: Just decided to try the green port and it seems to be working.... Gonna keep trying it for a few days and see if it messes up again. Last night the fuzzy/white noise was unbearable.

Last edited:
Do you live in an environment where the humidity is very low, either naturally or because of air conditioning? If so, that would increase the potential for static electricity problems. Adding a humidifier might help tremendously. Wearing other clothes when you use the computer might also be in order. Some fabrics or combination of them seem to increase static buildup.

Back