• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce3 Cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

willlangford

Hey, i have copper ram sinks on the ram on my card. i want to be able to over clock some more...i have really no way to cool the sinks off once they get hot. should i put a fan above the card or what?

~Will

My suggestion is having a side panel fan to bring in cool air from outside. Also some good case airflow would be esential too.

Well, if you position a fan in a good spot, you can make a cheap, cardboard duct to direct all the air at your vid card. What I would suggest, it to place the top of the fan even with the vid card. Then just use the cardboard to direct the air as best as possible.

willlangford said:
how much niose would that add?

~wILL

Depends on what fan you use. A low CFM/db 80mm fan sould allow you to overclock the card a little more then whatever you have it at now. Maybe an extra 2-4MHz on the gpu, and another 10-20MHz on the ram. A high CFM 80mm screamer might get you another 1-2 on the gpu, and maybe 10 more on the ram. It all depends on how far you want to push it, and how much noise your willing to put up with. But dont expect leaps and bounds. Most ppl hit thier cards limits even without a extra fan.

Since we are talking of GF3's..

What's the max clock u guys ever got out of G3 Ti500 on a good air flow case but with a with a stock cooler?
Stable of course...
And about those PCI slot fans , do they blow out or can u get them blowing in too?
Cause i never use my 1st pci slot so the videocard can have some breathing room.
1 of those would be ideal if u could invert the blowing process.
;)

Well you can see what I'm running my GF3 (not Ti) at in my sig. I haven't gone any higher cause I want to put some temp probes on it, just for safety as I can't afford to just burn out a vid card just for o/c sake.;) But I'm sure it could go higher even without any extra cooling.

And those slot fans are kinda tricky. The one I have is wider then the space available for a standard PCI slot. I haven't seen any that suck air in, just blow air out, because of the way the fans are made. I'd suggest you goto a store and see one in person to see if it in fact will fit in one PCI slot alone.

good... you wont regret it... it will help your CPU temp as well as your graphics card performace alot.

Back