• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Settings for Memory overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geobronc

I have a new ASUS A7V333 and have bought 512mb of generic PC2700. Should I mess with the Bois settings to get better performance? If so, any suggestions?

I am running the front Bus at 140 now stable with a XP1900.
My CPU speed it now 1.68ghz, but I want to go higher. Will PC2700 go higher then 140'ish?
I am use to using the older PC133 memory before I made this switch to DDR.

benchmark it......than try to lower all your memory settings ie.. 2.5 cas to 2.0 ect.......benchmarks are the only way to know as some memory will go backwards if its sub par.... remember the over voltage feature as it might be needed when ya turn up the juice in the memory to gain stability......you cant really say though as ive seen some memory bandwidth fall on its face when pushed beyond its spec. Not to mention I have personaly had two identical sticks and one would clock more that the other due to factory tolerances. Your own results are the only one that counts and to get that you have to benchmark it.

Last edited:
Hey EVERYONE!

I received my A7V8X two days ago with 256MB Samsung PC2700 (M368L3223DTL-CB3) and a 1600+ AGOIA. I was wondering, though, what my memory timings should be. I have been away from the overclocking scene for about 3-4 months since I last RMA'd my old GA-7VRXP so once again I need help again.

Alright, here are my current settings:

CPU Frequency Multiple: 10.5x
CPU External Frequency (MHz): 166/33
Memory Frequency (MHz): 333
CPU Vcore Setting: Auto
CPU Vcore: 1.750V
DRAM Voltage: Auto
System Performance: Turbo

>Chip Configuration:
SDRAM Configuration: Manual
SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.0T (DDR)
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay: 2T
SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay: 2T
SDRAM Active Precharge Delay: 6T
SDRAM 1T Command Control: Enabled
SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

CPU Temperature (Idle): 39 C
CPU Temperature (Full): Unknown

Also, something very strange that I noticed was that even though I increased the vcore, the temperature was always 39 degrees as reported by ASUS Probe.

And here is my problem: I can boot into Windows XP without any problems, but soon after I will notice random errors from random programs. Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, VirtualDub, etc. And sometimes the whole computer will just freeze up, especially when I am encoding video files with DivX or playing DivX files on Windows Media Player. I have tried increasing my CPU Vcore a little higher (1.800V) and I have even increased the DRAM Voltage (2.75V), but I haven't attempted 2.85V just because I don't see that making mucha of a difference. Even with those increase voltages I seem to still have some problems with random errors and freezing.

Is it my RAM? If it is should I try to RMA it, and if so what would I say? If you see any error in my settings please point it/them out. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Last edited:
sheesh...im used to having a reply within minutes but 2-3 hours....sheesh. No really, I think I'll make my own thread in another forum (possibly "General Cooling") if nobody here can suggest :)

GooGobbler said:
sheesh...im used to having a reply within minutes but 2-3 hours....sheesh. No really, I think I'll make my own thread in another forum (possibly "General Cooling") if nobody here can suggest :)
Well you did hijack somebody else's thread! Before you RMA have you tried to relax the settings for your RAM or changed the Turbo to optimal? Upping the Vcore will also help you squeeze out a bit more - try at 1.85V

Geobronc said:
I have a new ASUS A7V333 and have bought 512mb of generic PC2700. Should I mess with the Bois settings to get better performance? If so, any suggestions?

I am running the front Bus at 140 now stable with a XP1900.
My CPU speed it now 1.68ghz, but I want to go higher. Will PC2700 go higher then 140'ish?
I am use to using the older PC133 memory before I made this switch to DDR.
Most PC2700 should be able to go above 140FSB but as your ram is generic then it becomes a bit of a gamble. What are your RAM settings at present?

I can only raise my fsb to 159 and there was others with my same specs that could get higher =(. I dont know what i'm doing wrong.

Back