• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bd7 2 and corsair 3500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marcwing

Registered
hey guys got my two stick of 512 corsair 3500 ram yet my cpu is not stable past 2.75...running fsb at 162 high 1:1
2.5,7,3,3 both voltage max out...have not done wire trick yet was hoping dont have too. cpu will go 2.8 but not stable when playing games crashes back to desktop...was hoping to reach 3.0g thats why i bought the fastest ram...did have kingmax 3200 prior to it, doesnt look like the corsair is any better than it...how do i know if its the cpu or ram holding me back???
with my settings is my corsair ram running at the right specs?

my sys

abit bd7 2 non raid
P4 2.26
leadtek geforce 4 ultra VIVO
soundblaster

marcwing said:
how do i know if its the cpu or ram holding me back???
with my settings is my corsair ram running at the right specs?
Sounds like you've got the same problem as me.....
Pimp-Daddy Coz said.....
The most annoying problem I have with this board is that 9 out of 10 times when you hit DEL to get into the BIOS the POST screen is replaced by a small blue text line at the bottom of the screen and NOT the BIOS set-up. That one REALLY <beeps> me off!! When you're overclocking and trying to find the sweet spot you're looking at a LOT of attempts to get into the BIOS failing.

The other big problem I have is my RAM. I have some Kingmax PC2700 (5ns) which used to run fine at DDR352 2/5/2/2 (stock vdimm) on my Asus P4B266 but on this POS it's much worse than that. At DDR333 I can only run stable using 2.5/6/3/3 (Hi or Low strap) and it can't go much higher than about DDR342 no matter the vdimm or CAS settings!! Even when I take out one of the two 256MB sticks it makes no difference. When using 4:3 I can take the FSB right up to at least 177MHz (3.01GHz) but with 1:1 it doesn't go much past 171MHz. I don't understand why the memory is so pathetic on this board and was so good on the P4B266???
When your system doesn't POST do you get the warning beeps? Some people have BD7II's that work like champs and run uber-fast DDR speeds. Others (like me and you), get a crappy board that won't allow you to push the memory very far at all before things fall apart.

My problems seem to be related to memory because I can use the 4:3 ratio to hit over 3GHz no problem but when I'm using 1:1 I can't get that far. But I know the memory can go a lot faster than this and with more aggressive settings so it must be the board. Try the High 4:3 ratio and see how far the CPU goes then, it may indicate you're getting the same problem as me for sure.

Also, this board undervolts like you wouldn't believe!! I've got a pretty beefy PSU but at default vcore I get a reading of 1.44v idle and 1.41v under load. When I up the vcore to +5% (1.575v) that changes to 1.50v idle.

Roll on GB so I can bin this Abit POS. Abit quality sure does suck. Maybe these are ECS-manufactured with some of those cheap-*** crapacitors I keep hearing about? Every Abit board I've owned since BX6 and been total junk, every Asus board I've owned has been rock solid. Looks like I'll be getting an Asus P4G8X in about 3 weeks time and not the GB7-Ultra.:(

thanks coz will try the 4:3 settings. i dont think i ever hit 170 with this board cause ill start beeping at me...

You got all wrong......I think

It's not your motherboard's fault.

It your RAM timing.

I have one BD7II-Raid, same as BD7II just added Raid function.

The default RAM timing in BIOS is 2-5-2-2.

So with this fast timing, there is NO way for your RAM to go very high. I've tried. With the correct RAM timing, you can use "low" Ratio with 3 : 4 NO problem. To my experience, once the RAM is reaching 170FSB to 180FSB, you need to use 2-5-3-3. My RAM is 1x512MB Corsair PC3200. When it reaches about 200FSB, you need even lower timing for it to run stable, like 2-6-3-3 something like that. NO need for 2.5-7.

You may also up your RAM voltage to 2.6V or 2.7V. Another thing, 2 stick of RAM may give you lower OC performance. You may want to take one stick out.

Again, use the 3:4 ratio, or it's a waste to have PC3500. You should have PC2100 instead if you use 4:3. :)

Last edited:
oh and the corsair xms3500 suck :)

i had a 512mb stick and exchanged it for a xms3200cs pt which goes a lot higher than the pc3500

max with pc3500 was 216 2-3-3-7 @ 2.7 volt
now i'm at 220 [email protected] with the pc3200

methinks corsair messed up a little with the xms3500 :)

The highest I've tried was 220FSB with 2-6-3-3 at 2.6V. Cannot go higher due to "cappy" CPU :)

Back