• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Temp Monitor Program to trust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ducker

I have a question. I have 3 different temp monitoring programs. With 3 different temp readings. I don't know which one to trust. Motherboard Monitor shows: CPU 46C MB 31C, Asus Probe: CPU 40C MB 31C, and in BIOS Hardware Monitor: CPU 34C MB 32C. All of these temps are @ idle. Which one should I believe? I tend to trust temp readings in BIOS. But what motherboard monitor shows worries me. Any recommendations? Thanks.

I agree that the bios is probably the most accurate. MBM can be set up wrong though I would think the Asus probe would detect the mobo correctly. I see why you are concerned. The best possible way would be to buy a compunurse to verify the cpu temp.

i like mbm but agree a radioshack or compunurse type external device will probably give the most accurate results.

~z

just thinking... you can't really compare your bios reading with a reading of another program, as you'd have to take them at about the same time; what i'm saying is that you check your bios, then reboot and let you computer load, then start Asus Probe and /or MBM and take your reading: in the meantime the temperature changed, as the computer did quite some work during the bootup.

Be sure your using the latest BIOS and PC Probe software. With the AMD boards temps would be all over the place without the proper updates. One would show socket temps anouther would show CPU Diode...

Roadkill, good idea, but indeed I have the latest version of the BIOS. After updateing from the last revision, I've been able to run a little faster fsb.

I'm starting to think that the problem may well be with the contact between the hsf & cpu. I may not have the hsf level. I also may have applied the Artic Silver a little too thick :( . I'm getting ready to reformatt my hard drive & install my new "legal" version of Windows XP Pro ;) (got it from that microsoft deal for $49.00 shipped :D ). I think while I'm doing that I'll just go ahead & pull the hsf & cpu out & reinstall them. Thanks.

Back