• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU - Loop - Heat

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bftw

Registered
I currently have an i9 7900x and a 1080TI FE, both are overclocked, CPU is at 4.6Ghz.

cpu.png msi.png

All of this is running in a single custom waterloop with x2 Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 420mm radiators (Push configuration) and a D5 Pump. The case is a Dark Base Pro 900, one of the radiators is intake (front), and one is exhaust (top), only other fan in the system is an exhaust fan (140mm) out the back of the case.

Current System Temps while gaming:

Water Temp: 40c

Water Pump Speed: 2.9

Radiator Fans RPM: 1000/1100 RPM

CPU Temp: 62-72c

GPU Temp: 46c

Question, if I replace the 1080TI, which has a TDP of 250 stock (FYI my GPU is overclocked so will be higher), with the 3080 (TDP 320) or the 3090 (TDP 350), and donÂ’t overclock the new GPU, (1.) will my radiators be able to handle the extra heat?

(2.) Will I have to increase my fan speed? By how muchÂ…

(3.) Will the water loop run hotter, how much hotter? Will it be too hot for the soft tubing I use?

(4.) Will the additional heat of the 3080/3090 heat up my CPU more than it is now?

Thanks in advance.

I would switch the top fans to intake but it should handle a new 3080 card. Not sure about the 3090 though, someone else might chime in on that one. It might get loud when gaming because those are thin radiators but it will handle it. Probably at the top limit of what it can do though. If you have the cash and since you will be semi rebuilding the loop to add a new water block anyways I would up at least one of the radiators to a UT60 or the equivalent. I like a little overkill though.

I would switch the top fans to intake but it should handle a new 3080 card. Not sure about the 3090 though, someone else might chime in on that one. It might get loud when gaming because those are thin radiators but it will handle it. Probably at the top limit of what it can do though. If you have the cash and since you will be semi rebuilding the loop to add a new water block anyways I would up at least one of the radiators to a UT60 or the equivalent. I like a little overkill though.

Adding a thicker radiator would mean buying a new case, as I have maxed it out already with x2 420 rads :/

What's $100 more for a case when you are spending over $1000 for the new card already. ;)

Either way I say go for the new GPU and see how it goes. With the current supply situation it will probably take you a good bit of time to get the GPU anyways so you might find a case you like. That is unless you go the scalper route.

I am running a Arctic Freezer II 420. I was running it outside of my old Coolermaster HAF XB EVO with great temps, but it was ugly AF. I installed into a Thermaltake View 71 on the top in pull configuration as an exhaust with intake at bottom and front of case. Temps were about 10 degrees warmer than on my EVO. I turned the top fans around and made an intake and ambient temps went from about 57 down to 45. So I would agree with bugfreak. Make your radiator fans intake so you are blowing cool air across your radiator and not recycled air from the GPU/CPU.

Using the coolest air is the best method, but, I don't think you'll 'need' to do it. For giggles let's say everything goes up 10C... that's 82C peak on the CPU and 56C on the GPU. I don't imagine temps to go up by that much.

My vote is to try it and see. If you don't like the temps, change it around as suggested above to save a couple of C.

Back