• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OEM Norton products

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beavis

I found Norton Internet Security 2002 on pricewatch and came up with this one from eastoutlet.com but was wondering if all oem Norton products come with free live updates. It doesn't say anything about it on the ad but I've seen other sites that have it and some mention that it comes with free live updates for a certain amount of time, like 3 months or sometimes a year. Can someone clarify this for me? I don't want to buy it then found out that I still have to pay for updates. Thanks! :)

http://www.eastoutlet.com/allframes.htm

This one says 1 year free live updates but the one above does not.
http://www.buysell101.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=4&pw4

I bought Norton System Works 2001 and I had a year of updates. Unfortunately its not compatible with WinXP :(

You have to pay for updates.... OEM = 3 Months free, Retail 1 YEAR free...

Dont be cheap! It is only like 10-15 dollars a year. Keep the nice programmers employed.

If you use Windoze and are like the rest of us that need to re-install it every so often, the updates will renew itself whenever you do a fresh install.

Not to long ago I had just redone my computer and reinstalled everything from scratch, along with NAV. It said I had 1 year from that date of free updates. About a month later Windoze got totally screwed up and I had to delete everything and start over again. When I installed NAV, it said again that I have 1 full year from that (new) date of updates.:D

But it would suck having to do a fresh reinstall every 3 months just to get updates.

(PS: No, uninstalling NAV and reinstalling will not give you the same thing. It installs some files all over your hard drive, plus leaves entries in your registry. Unless you believe you can track all the changes it makes when its first installed, and every change it makes when you update it, just get the full version for the 1 year updates.)

OEM Norton System Works 2001:

NSW.JPG

I hope the hosting doesnt crap out :(

EDIT to add my Win2k machine:
NSW2.JPG

Last edited:
Ahhhh.... we stand corrected. As I understood it as well, the OEM Nortons only get 3 months of free updates.

I think there are different levels of OEM. My HP came with only 3months of McAffee. I guess its a buyer beware type of thing. Just like anything else its easy to dupe the customer then never answer any complaints.

Back