• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really ****ed With My 1600+ :mad:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scann69

It's been alont time since i last check in here but recently i just decided to unlock my AMD 1600+ CPU with the hope of getting it to run at a faster speed. i believe i unlock it right cause i'm using the PC now but i was just wondering, i notice that when i want to overclock it from the BIOS the Multiple & FSB has different value. what i mean to say is that before i unlock the CPU, if i set the FSB at 133Mhz and Multiple at 10.5, i should get a speed of 1400Ghz. now the problem is that after i overclock the CPU, with the settings above i get a speed of only 1260 which means that it's slower then what it's suppose to be. is there any reason for this? apart from that, as i'm still running my old MoBo (A7V133), at this point i've set the FSB to 133Mhz and the Multiple to 12.5, i should be getting a speed of 1662Ghz which i'm not and only getting a speed of 1533Ghz. it's shows the same speed in the boot up screen and in Windows. can somebody please please tell me why? i'm so so tired of this. :mad:
the other problem is that now that i've set it at 12.5*133Mhz, everytime i start the PC, it'll bring me into the BIOS where it says that my CPU hang and that the frequency is wrong and all that but all i have to do is just save setting again and it restart.....it runs well. ok, i'm not too good at explaning things like that but if anybody needs more info or need me to explane more, please let me know. thanks a million guys :burn::mad:

Two things: First, I would flash to the latest ASUS bios for the A7v133. I'm up to 1010 or 1011 on my A7V, and I know one of the jumps (from like 1004 to 1008) gave me a HUGE amount of new settings to play with.

Anyway, there may be a few compatibility issues with the Palomino that were solved with a later bios.

Also, I would not use JumperFree mode on that ASUS. On my A7V I can get a slightly higer FSB by using the jumper mode. I would definitely not use the BIOS to overclock iwth that board with the palomino, I'd play it safe and use the dip switches.

Hope that helps some!
Mike

I'll like to say thanx for the fast reply. Firstly, i just found the latest BIOS from asus.com.tw version 1011 but it is for MoBo A7V. I'm using the A7V133. Will that be ok? i don't want to screw up my MoBo.
I did think of using the dip switch but i have limited choices of FSB and Multiple. 12.5*133 = 1662Mhz. what if i want to push it higher? if it's posibble that is. i'm planing on playing with the FSB more then the Multiple cause i think it is better right? correct me if i'm wrong.
Hope to hear from u soon Mike.
Thanx again ;)

Scann69 said:
...what i mean to say is that before i unlock the CPU, if i set the FSB at 133Mhz and Multiple at 10.5, i should get a speed of 1400Ghz. now the problem is that after i overclock the CPU, with the settings above i get a speed of only 1260 which means that it's slower then what it's suppose to be. is there any reason for this? apart from that, as i'm still running my old MoBo (A7V133), at this point i've set the FSB to 133Mhz and the Multiple to 12.5, i should be getting a speed of 1662Ghz which i'm not and only getting a speed of 1533Ghz. it's shows the same speed in the boot up screen and in Windows. can somebody please please tell me why?

1260/133 = 9.5, and 1533/133 = 11.5, both off from your settings by 1X...right?? Very possible that you "grounded" the default HI 1X Bit Value Signal Bus when you closed the L1 bridges. This would set a permanent LO which cannot be reset HI, and so all your bios settings that "need" the 1X Signal Bus to be HI would be low by 1X. The 1X L1 bridge is 2nd from the left, clean including remove insulating fill and redo just that one...some conductive material must ahve gotten down and contacted the sub-surface ground plane.
http://www.beachlink.com/candjac/index.htm "Multiplier Code" article...read it and others to "understand what goes on with Multipliers and their circuits/hardware/mods.
John C.

Thanx for your info on this but how do i make very sure that it is cause of the L1 bridge thing. I'm not insulting u, hope u don't misunderstand. Problem here is that i paid somebody to do the unlocking for me. i can always sent it back to him but that will be hell of a lot of trouble for me to take the MoBo out of the casing again. Either way, it'll be good if u can tell me another way to check it if not then i'll take the MoBo out anyway.
Apart from that, any idea why does my system boot into the BIOS everytime i on the PC? izzit cause of the BIOS version which i should update or it has something to do with the unlocking? currently i'm facing these 2 problems only and i want to get it solve soon. Anybody know how i can get the BIOS version 1010A & 1011 for my MoBo? (A7V133 RAID)
Thank You John C

First off, as for your cpu not booting correctly, it sounds like the jumper settings you are giving are not taking...it would hang, and upon reset would go to bios. I would get that often with my A7V in jumper-free mode. I highly recommend using the Jumper mode, which means changing the jumper free jumper and using the dipswitches to set FSB and multiplier.

Second, I would remove the CPU and closely inspect the unlocking. Make sure everything looks good and that none of the brides touch each other, and that none of the conductive materal used to unlock each bridge is touching any other bridges.

Third, there is a 1009 BIOS available for the A7V133. Here is the link from the USA site with all the available downloads for the A7V133...

Here's the link

Finally, in terms of OC'ing the chip, the best thing to do in terms of performance is oc'ing the FSB and lowering multiplier. in other words, a chip at 1600mhz with a 9.5 mult would have a 166mhz bus, whereas 1600 with a 133mhz bus is a 12x multiplier.

The FSB will overclock all components (memory and pci) so you will get better performance. However, you need to understand PCI dividers or you may run into problems with your pci devices. Here is a great PCI Primer: http://www.overclockers.com/pci

The multiplier can be used to overclock only the CPU, and comes in handy if your memory (or other components) isn't up the the higher FSB.

Also, if you have the need to go over 12.5x multiplier, the 12.5x may also be a 13x. On my A7V, I got a 13x multiplier when I set (using the dip switches) the highest (12.5x) multiplier. The only thing I can tell is that the new BIOS changed this, or that the 12.5x setting is now a 13x. The result at 105fsb was 1365mhz...

The A7V133 may have a similar deal, so you may actually get a 13x multiplier. You might wanna post a thread in the ASUS motherboards sectoin and see if any A7V133 owners can verify this.

Mike

Scann69 said:
Thanx for your info on this but how do i make very sure that it is cause of the L1 bridge thing. I'm not insulting u, hope u don't misunderstand. Problem here is that i paid somebody to do the unlocking for me. i can always sent it back to him but that will be hell of a lot of trouble for me to take the MoBo out of the casing again. Either way, it'll be good if u can tell me another way to check it if not then i'll take the MoBo out anyway. Thank You John C

Try some more settings from the bios........you tried 10.5X and 12.5X and got 1X less cause they need 1X Signal Bus to be HI...NOT grounded LO.

7X, 7.5X, 9X, 9.5X, 11X and 11.5X should get what you set cause they *do not need 1X to be HI*, so the suspected ground/LO setting does not change the bios 1X LO signal.

6X, 6.5X, 8X, and 8.5X should get 1X less cause they all need the 1X Bit Value Signal Bus to be HI.

If that's not enough proof then you haven't read and understood the Multiplier Code.
Regards , John C.

Mike, u mention that my CPU would hang if my jumper settings my be incorrect. problem is, currently i'm overclocking it using the BIOS. is there any other jumper i should be checking on the board? i'm in the office now and how i wish i was at home then i can test my PC now but i'll go back and try to overclock it using the dipswitch. i'm already using the lastest BIOS which is 1009 and there is a beta version of the 1010 which i'm planing on trying tonite. hopefully it will help in someway. Have your heard of the Ram called Kingmax with up to 150Mhz? is it good for overclocking? what other things that i have to look into to get my funny system stable. i'm looking at clocking it to atleast 1900+.

John C, you really know alot about this AMD stuff don't u? I'll check that Multiplier and see if there is something wrong with the unlocking cause if there is then the person who did it is gonna get it from me. thanx alot guys. I own u both a :beer:

If u see my thread at the top of the page, it only means that i came across another problem and will really love it if your could help me out again. as of now, i'll check all that stuff and i'll keep your updated. Take care.

I would strongly suspect that the problem is due to the issue JohnC is mentioning whereby some conductive material is on the subsurface ground plane. It is a fairly common problem to occur.

I guess you guys maybe right but eitherway, the person that did this for me will have alot of extra work to do. i'm only too lazy to take MoBo out of the casing. alot of work there. many fans and cables to remove. i'll keep you people update anyway. thanx again. Take care

Back