• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Woohoo My First Overclock!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rdytorave

1600 @ 1.75Ghz with aggressive memory timings. Here's how:

I'd read up on the XP's and decided that memory bandwidth was my first goal. I didn't want to unlock my CPU if unnecessary and so I set the FSB to 166, CPU voltage to 1.80v, Divider @ 5/2/1 and prayed.

I tested 30 times on Sandra and everything worked. I next tried 3DMark2001 SE and the program would close and go back to Windows at the first test.

I upped to 1.825v and it lasted a few tests before locking up. I upped to 1.85v and ran it 3 times to be sure it was stable. It worked!!!!

Up to now my memory timings were relaxed. I decided to up the ante and set them to their most aggressive. Just to be safe I upped the DDR voltage to 2.75v. I ran memtest 86 to be sure and the system passed with flying colors!

Before overclocking I was getting 3dmark scores around 8200. Now I'm over 10,000! Woohoo!

Last edited:
Good overclock, and yes memory timings make a world of differance on 3dmark, i was getting 9500 max with my geforce 3 ti500 and after changing memory timings and overclocking the card, I got 10,300, this thing would rock with newer card( Next purchase) Awesome Job!!!

mamer

Edit: you need to change your 3dmark in your sig line(Very low!!):D

wow pretty impressive stuff for first time ocing!
musta done your howework i bet?
alot of people could keep from killing parts,bad oc's,dissapointment if they to did thier homewrk first.

also very impresive when you hit a road block you knew exactly what coused it and what you needed to change to fix it! kudos!
how long you been reading/studing here before you finally did oc?
im very interested as i know i spent almost a year before i finally did.

I've been learning about overclocking for the past 3 months. 6 months ago I knew nothing about computers. I got a job in IT and have been learning ever since.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah nice job.

*Looks at his 4000ish 3dmark score and growls.*

*mutters under his breath* Wanker.

:) hehe. It's all in good fun.

Great job on the OC!
I've been learning about overclocking for the past 3 months. 6 months ago I knew nothing about computers. I got a job in IT and have been learning ever since.
lol sorry but, that would a great ad for one of those IT schools (Or an ad for the overclockers hmmm).

Actually I went to Devry and learned nothing for a year. I've learned much more on the job than they ever taught in school. So my commercial would be like this: "Don't go to Devry it's about $40,000 for a nice wall ornament." :rolleyes:

I just put in a new 1600+ tonight have her running stable at 166FSB(default voltages, turbo memory), it's an AGOIA 0226 Z, what did you get?

Back