• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choice of cooler?:(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domstar

Hi,
I am looking for a new cooler but have no idea what to buy. I need to really cool an Athlon XP1700+ but preferabley without the noise(I have a damn delta fan 60MM). I know Zalmans are quiet and so ae Alpha's, im not talking stoopidly quiet but not as noisy as a bloody hoover.
Here is a list of coolers Ive been looking at:
Alpha PAL 6035
Thermaltake Volcano 7,9
Thermaltake Dragon Orb 3
Thermalright SK-6,
Thermoengine P/N.V60-4225,

Any ideas on wether any of these ae good?Worth buying?Quiet,peformance etc...??

Thanks guys,
DoM

dragon orb 3s are core crushers, unly use them on ships that are reenforced like AthlonMPs.

Second, het a heatsink that will take an 80mm fan. those get better CFM for less noise then any 60mm fan by far! and the 80mm heatsinks cool better as well.

Third, go to www.overclockers.com and go to 'heatsink reviews and tips' there at the top they have a link to a list of all the heatsinks they have reviewed. they are highlytrusted, so pick the best 80mm heatsink there that is within your price brachet for a socket A.

Do you have tower case or a desktop? If you have a desktop you could always get a 120mm to 80mm adapter with a 120mm fan which would give you even better cfm with lower noise than am 80mm. I do agree with going with an 80mm hsf because of the "Delta Problem". You could also try using some flexi-duct and put your fan on the side of your case so that the extra weight from it won't pull on the lugs of your socket if you use a tower. You might (if you think this is an idea worth your time) try looking through the articals here: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index09.asp#CASE COOLING
Hope this helps.

Im am using quite a large tower with enough space for three system fans before I start cutting any blow holes etc....The side can come off the side for allowing moe airflow but its too noisy like this. Dragon 3's are core crushers?What about using a shim though?Wouldnt that stop the core from crushing?

DoM

check my athlon system (fig 1 in my sig).

thats a volcano 7 with a very quiet fan on it (<2000 rpm and less< 20dba by my reconing). does fine on my athlon 1800+ (oc/ed to just under 2000+ speed)

so, anything that is rated better than that will do fine. (those temps are with no system fans BTW)

Ive read very good things about the thermalright SK-7, and paired with your choice of fans it can be a good cooler, especially since it wont cost you an arm and a leg

Back