• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dakini

Registered
I am looking to get a new heatsink+fan for my Sempron3000 (SoA). I want to get from the following site as have store credit to cash in. I want something that is quiet yet decent cooling so I can push my cpu and still have relatively low temp under load (by low I mean 45C under load).

I used to manage this on my old AthlonXP2000 on air, but the fan was a 7500rpm 6cm coolermaster and the fins on the sink were so thin I needed to clean it every month to keep cool as dust killed it (despite fan filters). Even a thermaltake smartfan2 on full belt with a 60mm-80mm fan adapter didn't cool as well despite similar airflow (80mm fan at 5000rpm pushed around same as 60mm at 7500rpm), I find fan adapters are crap though. It sounded like a hoover inside my machine so don't want to go back down that road as am attached to the relative quiet of the stock cooler. I don't want to spend load though so am considering the following

I like the look of this as used to love my orb sink on my ancient duron800MHz as got some great cooling with relatively low airflow (hence low speed and noise). Nice and compact and worked well and this looks similar

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=170222

If not this looks cheap but the sink is alu with copper slug base (I like copper on cpu die as much higher heat tranfer yet alu looses it easier so want alu fins), I can always change than fan to get the noise/cooling ration right.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=129198

Or anything else from
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=10&Category=Coolers&Thumbnails=yes

that is £15 and under is considered. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

i don't know... fan adapters usually don't work well since even though the fan is bigger, it's having to push the air through the same size hole. i think the first sink on your little list would be the best one, since even though the fan is a bit small it still has a halfway decent airflow rating and it isnt' too loud. plus the sink is all copper, which is definitely a good thing.

my recommendation would be something by thermalright. they make pretty much the best air cooling solutions available, however, they require money out the *******.

so on your budget and with the store credit in mind, i say that first one is probably the best. but don't expect a really high overclock to come from that. not form a sempron and not from that kind of a heatsink and fan.

thanks

thanks, I did wonder about the first as cannot change the fan if unhappy.
I don't need too serious cooling as sempron doesn't heat that much. I can push it to 195 or 196 FSB from 166 without stability probs and the temp only goes to 39C idle and 42C something under load (Usually about 37Idle and 38Load with no oc) on stock cooling. I find the cpu ocs quite well, are semprons usually bad oc-ers as I am used to athlonXPs really.

see the following for details

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364195

Last edited:
Personally I'd go with a Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu or the newer CNPS7700-Cu. These have the fan integrated into the heatsink, are virtually inaudible and have great cooling performance. The fins on my new CNPS7000B-Cu are approx 2mm apart vs about 1.5mm apart on my old TT PIPE101.

Performance is not quite as good, but at least I can't hear it. I don't bother with fan control using this HSF as you have to listen hard to hear it. If there's any noise, and I mean any noise in a room, you can't hear the Zalman.

The CNPS7000B-Cu is $66 Australian, which should translate into roughly £27 UK .
Don't bother looking at the Cooler Master Vortex Dream as it's cooling performance is not all that crash hot, the same goes for the other two heatsinks you listed. Pay a little extra for the better performing Zalman, or more again for a decent Thermalright heatsink if you want the ultimate in air cooling.

Last edited:
go with the 7000, 7700 isn't socketA. or if you want something a little cheaper the zalman 6000 is also good and uses a socket clip instead of the mounting holes

If you really want 7700, check Pentagram / PC Cooler / Silenx (butthis is overpriced) - all have Zalman-style coolers for 120mm fans.

Eventually think about SI-97, as it should be better than Zalman 7000 I think.

thanks again

thanks for all the replies, I think I will look for one of the zalman flowers, 7000, or 6000 if significantly cheaper.

Oh and venom, nice avatar, I am a BIG hellsing fan (to anyone else who may misunderstand, the anime, not the awful heLsing movie with Hugh Jackman. Anyone who likes anime should see all the episodes at least twice).

:D
Too bad that there were only 13 episodes.
I hope you'll find some good cooler. Now it's a bit problematic, as most of manufacturers rather think about P4 and A64 platforms. This way there aren't too many new Socket A coolers - so you'd have to look for one of them (as SI-97) or for good old proven solutions, like older Thermalright or Zalman coolers. I mentioned these ripoffs, as they are huge, give pretty good results and they fit Socket A mobos. Personally I have Pentagram 80Cu (similiar to Zalman 7000Cu, but with 80mm fan), and it came with socket mounting bracket. The bigger ones will probably utilize Socket A standart mounting too, but I'm not sure. Check if you mobo has holes near CPU, as I heard that Zalman 7000 needs them in order to be installed (someone correct me please, if I'm wrong).

Back