• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Broadband in the US really is a joke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NookieN

I have a friend who recently moved to Japan and is in the process of getting a DSL connection. Nothing unusual there except, get this, she's getting 8Mbps for a little under $30/mo.

And here I am (and I suspect most everyone else on the forum) paying over $60/mo for 1.5Mbps.

Something tells me it's time I started asking my provider to stop expanding their network outward and start enhancing my service upward.

I say count yourself lucky that you can get DSL. I am stuck on dialup because DSL is not available where I live. What makes it worse is that it could be!! British Telecom will only upgrade the exchanges if enough peolpe show an interest. That is gonna take a long time :mad:

Hey where I live, the telco installed the line to their local office, but have not plans to install the equipment needed to make the connections available to the potential customers. They are just waiting for a major center to upgrade equipment, then they might decide to put the old rusty broken down unit in my town. And I'm about 1/2 a mile from the office, so I'd get a good clean connection :(

For now I have to suffer with a cable company that doesn't know the head from another part of their anatomy...

Yeah Broardband in UK is expensive, im on 512k for £25 a month :(

I could upgrade to 1 meg for £10 extra though.

Rich_T

Well if you think about it, Japan is a hell of a lot smaller than the US. That translates to a smaller area that they have to build an infrastructure for. It doesn't seem too strange to me that it costs less there.

flypsyde: the u.k is like a tenth of the size of USA, so why is it more expensive here then?

rich_T: are you on ntl - i thought that offer was only temporary and was only for a month or so?

james.miller said:
flypsyde: the u.k is like a tenth of the size of USA, so why is it more expensive here then?

that's because British Telecom are very primitive, and NTL are in huge debt.

yep. i think its all to do with population. since the USA has a larger population than the U.K, companies can sell more products for less money, and still make a profit.

And, with japan, which probably has soooo many people i couldnt begin to imagine, its probably cheaper than anywhere else in the world

FlypSyde said:
Well if you think about it, Japan is a hell of a lot smaller than the US. That translates to a smaller area that they have to build an infrastructure for.

That's true. But California is roughly the same size as Japan (granted, pop density is lower) and is, in some respects, a hi-tech state. And yet most people in CA aren't getting 8Mb DSL.

My take on it is that the infrastructure in Japan is _overdeveloped_. That is, they built more capacity than they needed and now they're giving it away. Unfortunately, the infrastructure in the US is underdeveloped, and I don't see that improving anytime soon.

james.miller said:
rich_T: are you on ntl - i thought that offer was only temporary and was only for a month or so?

No i'm with Telewest and because we got a phone line and subscribe to their TV package it's cheaper.

Rich_T

if we moved to japan we could buy parts cheaper also.
but i dont like rice that much so ill stay :)

deathstar13 said:
if we moved to japan we could buy parts cheaper also.
but i dont like rice that much so ill stay :)

What's your beef with rice? Rice is the shiz!

:)
+Asian women are cuter.

+Asian women are cuter.

:) Yep

Japan is the most Advanced Nation on the planet, Because...
  • Limited resorces cause them to use what thay have more efficiently
  • A smaller Island means thay need to make things small and usefull and to get rid of anything that takes up to much resorces.

$60 for 1.5Mb from my ISP too. "Charter"

LOL am I the only one that feels my 756/128k is more than plenty? I feel that even this is overkill for 90% of people. Well except for AOL users... so many freaken ads they do need 8mb/s badly.

wow, im payin 50/month for 512/256. But then im way the hell out in the middle of nowhere (northwest montana). No we dont ride horses everywere :)

Back